Sep 26, 2013, 2:51 PM EDT
The AHL Portland Pirates will not play in Portland, Maine this season. The team filed a lawsuit against the Board of Trustees of their old home, the Cumberland County Civic Center.
After a mediation and settlement process did not resolve the issue, the Pirates decided to proceed with litigation.
Pirates owner Brian Petrovek said he asked that “during this ill-timed, protracted five month period” the Trustees “honor the the deal terms which both parties agreed to,” but that they refused. Consequently, the team will move to the Androscoggin Bank Colisee in Lewiston, Maine.
Whether or not they’ll stay beyond the 2013-14 campaign seems to still be undecided.
“We’ll let the fans of this region determine how we should best proceed for the future,” Petrovek said in a statement. “We need this community’s support but we intend to earn it.”
The Pirates are the AHL affiliates of the Phoenix Coyotes. They earned the sixth seed in the Eastern Conference in 2012-13 before being eliminated in the first round of the playoffs.
The Portland Pirates will retain the name "Portland Pirates" for the present time
— Chris Knoblock (@cknoblock17) September 26, 2013
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 3
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 6
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Miller suffers upper body injury in Bruins win 3
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ 45
- Report: Islanders were sold for $485 million 8
- Scrivens believes Oilers are ‘starting to build winning habits’ 9
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (119)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (53)