Sep 26, 2013, 2:51 PM EDT
The AHL Portland Pirates will not play in Portland, Maine this season. The team filed a lawsuit against the Board of Trustees of their old home, the Cumberland County Civic Center.
After a mediation and settlement process did not resolve the issue, the Pirates decided to proceed with litigation.
Pirates owner Brian Petrovek said he asked that “during this ill-timed, protracted five month period” the Trustees “honor the the deal terms which both parties agreed to,” but that they refused. Consequently, the team will move to the Androscoggin Bank Colisee in Lewiston, Maine.
Whether or not they’ll stay beyond the 2013-14 campaign seems to still be undecided.
“We’ll let the fans of this region determine how we should best proceed for the future,” Petrovek said in a statement. “We need this community’s support but we intend to earn it.”
The Pirates are the AHL affiliates of the Phoenix Coyotes. They earned the sixth seed in the Eastern Conference in 2012-13 before being eliminated in the first round of the playoffs.
The Portland Pirates will retain the name "Portland Pirates" for the present time
— Chris Knoblock (@cknoblock17) September 26, 2013
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 17
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (58)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)