Sep 25, 2013, 12:10 AM EST
If Tuesday’s match against the Dallas Stars was a regular season game, Avalanche coach Patrick Roy thinks Nathan MacKinnon would have been available. Instead, he sat out the contest as expected due to a hip flexor injury.
That said, for those that were afraid that MacKinnon might have been held out for something other than precautionary reasons, it will be a relief to hear that he’s projected to be back in the lineup on Thursday.
“We just want to make sure that no chances were taken in a situation like this,” Roy told Altitude Sports. He added that MacKinnon has been skating.
The 18-year-old forward was taken with the first overall pick in the 2013 NHL Entry Draft, so it’s no surprise that the Avalanche want to err heavily on the side of caution. He’ll naturally receive a lot of attention this season, but Roy might limit his playing time in an attempt to ease him into the league and take some of the pressure off him.
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 0
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 17
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 29
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 30
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 17
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 75
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 17
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 13
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (75)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)