Sep 25, 2013, 12:10 AM EDT
If Tuesday’s match against the Dallas Stars was a regular season game, Avalanche coach Patrick Roy thinks Nathan MacKinnon would have been available. Instead, he sat out the contest as expected due to a hip flexor injury.
That said, for those that were afraid that MacKinnon might have been held out for something other than precautionary reasons, it will be a relief to hear that he’s projected to be back in the lineup on Thursday.
“We just want to make sure that no chances were taken in a situation like this,” Roy told Altitude Sports. He added that MacKinnon has been skating.
The 18-year-old forward was taken with the first overall pick in the 2013 NHL Entry Draft, so it’s no surprise that the Avalanche want to err heavily on the side of caution. He’ll naturally receive a lot of attention this season, but Roy might limit his playing time in an attempt to ease him into the league and take some of the pressure off him.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 0
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 40
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (40)