Sep 25, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT
Veteran NHL netminder Jose Theodore has received a contract offer from KHL club Avangard Omsk, according to Andrey Osadchenko of The Hockey News.
The report was first brought to light by ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun, who noted Theodore has an offer “to play in the KHL,” failing to specify what team expressed interest.
Theodore, 37, has spent the last two seasons in Florida, playing a key role in the Panthers’ surprising playoff appearance in 2011-12. He posted a 22-16-11 record with a 2.46 GAA and .917 save percentage as Florida captured its first-ever Southeast Division banner.
Last season was a wash — he only appeared in 15 games before suffering a season-ending groin tear — and he’s had trouble finding work ever since.
Theodore declined an invite to Florida’s camp on a PTO in mid-September and, prior to that, was linked to the Bruins for a potential backup gig (rumors that were quickly shot down).
There’s a chance the former Hart Trophy winner might hold out for a NHL opportunity to arise. Pittsburgh may need goaltending depth with Tomas Vokoun on the shelf, and the Canucks could be looking for veteran help behind Roberto Luongo after Eddie Lack was shelled for five goals in a loss to San Jose on Tuesday night.
- Lightning’s Vasilevskiy out 2-3 months after getting blood clot removed 5
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 24
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)