Sep 25, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT
Veteran NHL netminder Jose Theodore has received a contract offer from KHL club Avangard Omsk, according to Andrey Osadchenko of The Hockey News.
The report was first brought to light by ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun, who noted Theodore has an offer “to play in the KHL,” failing to specify what team expressed interest.
Theodore, 37, has spent the last two seasons in Florida, playing a key role in the Panthers’ surprising playoff appearance in 2011-12. He posted a 22-16-11 record with a 2.46 GAA and .917 save percentage as Florida captured its first-ever Southeast Division banner.
Last season was a wash — he only appeared in 15 games before suffering a season-ending groin tear — and he’s had trouble finding work ever since.
Theodore declined an invite to Florida’s camp on a PTO in mid-September and, prior to that, was linked to the Bruins for a potential backup gig (rumors that were quickly shot down).
There’s a chance the former Hart Trophy winner might hold out for a NHL opportunity to arise. Pittsburgh may need goaltending depth with Tomas Vokoun on the shelf, and the Canucks could be looking for veteran help behind Roberto Luongo after Eddie Lack was shelled for five goals in a loss to San Jose on Tuesday night.
- Habs sign Petry to a six-year, $33 million extension 15
- ‘Home-grown talent’ a staple of Blackhawks and Lightning 4
- A holdover from the ‘dark days,’ does Sharp have a future in Chicago? 43
- Bishop: ‘Taller guys…can be just as athletic as the smaller guys’ 6
- Tire pump? Yzerman says Toews is ‘bigger, stronger, better’ than he was 20
- Devils officially announce John Hynes, becomes youngest NHL coach 9
- PHT arrives in Tampa, gets soaked (oh, and today is Media Day) 6
- Ex-Leafs goalie Pogge eyeing North American return 5
- Poll: Should the Ducks fire Boudreau? 86
- Zuccarello (brain contusion, skull fracture) was unable to speak after injury 28
- ‘Hawks rise to occasion in Game 7, head to SCF for third time in six years (95)
- Poll: Should the Ducks fire Boudreau? (86)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (76)
- Is it fair to hold cap teams to old dynasty standards? (74)
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win (65)