Sep 25, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT
Veteran NHL netminder Jose Theodore has received a contract offer from KHL club Avangard Omsk, according to Andrey Osadchenko of The Hockey News.
The report was first brought to light by ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun, who noted Theodore has an offer “to play in the KHL,” failing to specify what team expressed interest.
Theodore, 37, has spent the last two seasons in Florida, playing a key role in the Panthers’ surprising playoff appearance in 2011-12. He posted a 22-16-11 record with a 2.46 GAA and .917 save percentage as Florida captured its first-ever Southeast Division banner.
Last season was a wash — he only appeared in 15 games before suffering a season-ending groin tear — and he’s had trouble finding work ever since.
Theodore declined an invite to Florida’s camp on a PTO in mid-September and, prior to that, was linked to the Bruins for a potential backup gig (rumors that were quickly shot down).
There’s a chance the former Hart Trophy winner might hold out for a NHL opportunity to arise. Pittsburgh may need goaltending depth with Tomas Vokoun on the shelf, and the Canucks could be looking for veteran help behind Roberto Luongo after Eddie Lack was shelled for five goals in a loss to San Jose on Tuesday night.
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 9
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 4
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 20
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 91
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 10
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 17
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 35
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (93)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (89)