Sep 25, 2013, 4:17 PM EDT
Kristo, 23, was originally Montreal’s second-round pick at the 2008 NHL Entry Draft, acquired by the Rangers in July in exchange for Christian Thomas.
McIlrath, 21, was the Rangers’ first-round pick (10th overall) at the 2010 NHL Entry Draft. The towering defenseman (6-foot-5, 215 pounds) spend last year in Connecticut and felt he had “a legitimate shot” of making the NHL this season.
But that didn’t happen.
The Rangers have added depth on the blueline over the last year, acquiring John Moore in the Marian Gaborik trade and signing Justin Falk in free agency. New York has also decided to take a longer look at Conor Allen, an undrafted free agent out of UMass-Amherst that appears to have a real shot of making the opening-night roster.
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 7
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 21
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 7
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 53
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 1
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 25
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 11
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 39