Sep 25, 2013, 4:17 PM EST
Kristo, 23, was originally Montreal’s second-round pick at the 2008 NHL Entry Draft, acquired by the Rangers in July in exchange for Christian Thomas.
McIlrath, 21, was the Rangers’ first-round pick (10th overall) at the 2010 NHL Entry Draft. The towering defenseman (6-foot-5, 215 pounds) spend last year in Connecticut and felt he had “a legitimate shot” of making the NHL this season.
But that didn’t happen.
The Rangers have added depth on the blueline over the last year, acquiring John Moore in the Marian Gaborik trade and signing Justin Falk in free agency. New York has also decided to take a longer look at Conor Allen, an undrafted free agent out of UMass-Amherst that appears to have a real shot of making the opening-night roster.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 124
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 95
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 107
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 87
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (180)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (126)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (126)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (111)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (96)