Sep 25, 2013, 4:17 PM EST
Kristo, 23, was originally Montreal’s second-round pick at the 2008 NHL Entry Draft, acquired by the Rangers in July in exchange for Christian Thomas.
McIlrath, 21, was the Rangers’ first-round pick (10th overall) at the 2010 NHL Entry Draft. The towering defenseman (6-foot-5, 215 pounds) spend last year in Connecticut and felt he had “a legitimate shot” of making the NHL this season.
But that didn’t happen.
The Rangers have added depth on the blueline over the last year, acquiring John Moore in the Marian Gaborik trade and signing Justin Falk in free agency. New York has also decided to take a longer look at Conor Allen, an undrafted free agent out of UMass-Amherst that appears to have a real shot of making the opening-night roster.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 41
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 117
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (121)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)