Sep 25, 2013, 10:35 PM EDT
One day after losing key addition Viktor Stalberg for up to a month, the Nashville Predators held their breath regarding another important scorer. Patric Hornqvist did indeed suffer a leg injury of some kind on Wednesday, but the good news is that it isn’t a fracture and will probably only limit him day-to-day, according to Preds announcer Stu Grimson.
That’s a big relief because Hornqvist, 26, seems like he’s really starting to pay for all those dirty goals he’s so adept at scoring.
He was limited to 24 regular season games in 2013 but received a lengthy (yet reasonably priced) contract extension anyway. The Predators hope to see him return to that 20-30 goal form he showed from 2009-10 to 2011-12, but that won’t happen if he’s unable to stay on the ice.
Even with all the money they spent this summer, it’s likely that the Predators need Hornqvist to pitch in his share of goals in 2013-14. With that in mind, the Predators really dodged a bullet in their 4-1 preseason loss to the Washington Capitals.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 11
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 56
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)