Sep 25, 2013, 11:40 AM EDT
Vokoun, 37, underwent the procedure on Saturday after noticing swelling in his thigh following practice. The decision was made for an immediate operation, and it was later announced Vokoun would be out indefinitely.
This isn’t the Czech netminder’s first bout with blood clotting issues.
In April 2006 he was diagnosed with pelvic thrombophlebitis, a rare blood condition that creates a multitude of blood clots. That ailment forced him to miss the remainder of the regular season and all of the playoffs.
It’s unclear if this current issue is related to the clotting problems of ’06. Pens GM Ray Shero told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review “it’s just too early to say,” noting further evaluation would be required.
With Vokoun out, the Pens added some goaltending depth earlier this week by signing journeyman Jeff Deslauriers to an AHL tryout deal.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)