Sep 25, 2013, 12:18 PM EST
After four seasons in Edmonton, Ryan Jones could be moving on.
That’s because the Oilers put Jones on waivers Wednesday, a somewhat surprising move considering he scored 35 goals for Edmonton from 2010-12 — tying Jordan Eberle for third on the team in 2010-11, with 18.
The move is even more surprising given Jones, 29, signed a one-year, $1.5 million deal with the Oilers in July.
The gritty forward was given that deal after a tough 2013 campaign, one that saw him miss a significant chunk of time after taking a puck to the eye during lockout practice at the University of Minnesota.
That injury resulted in surgery, one that kept him on the shelf until late February. Upon his return Jones appeared in 27 games for the Oilers, notching seven points.
It’ll be interesting to see if Jones clears waivers. While he’s got a fairly hefty price tag and was just dropped from one of the NHL’s worst teams in 2013, he’s still a proven veteran that can add sandpaper and goalscoring ability to a team’s forward group.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 26
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 13
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 79
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 15
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (81)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)