Sep 25, 2013, 12:18 PM EDT
After four seasons in Edmonton, Ryan Jones could be moving on.
That’s because the Oilers put Jones on waivers Wednesday, a somewhat surprising move considering he scored 35 goals for Edmonton from 2010-12 — tying Jordan Eberle for third on the team in 2010-11, with 18.
The move is even more surprising given Jones, 29, signed a one-year, $1.5 million deal with the Oilers in July.
The gritty forward was given that deal after a tough 2013 campaign, one that saw him miss a significant chunk of time after taking a puck to the eye during lockout practice at the University of Minnesota.
That injury resulted in surgery, one that kept him on the shelf until late February. Upon his return Jones appeared in 27 games for the Oilers, notching seven points.
It’ll be interesting to see if Jones clears waivers. While he’s got a fairly hefty price tag and was just dropped from one of the NHL’s worst teams in 2013, he’s still a proven veteran that can add sandpaper and goalscoring ability to a team’s forward group.
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 1
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 7
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 4
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 37
- Report: Gryba, Tropp avoid punishment after getting tossed for hits 6
- What they’re saying about the Sabres (and it’s not good) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Caps, Red Wings battle after hotly contested 13-14 series 5
- Miller wins 300th, Canes finish Oct. without single victory 7
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)