Sep 25, 2013, 9:03 AM EDT
Edmonton Oilers defenseman Darnell Nurse was a long shot to make the team after being selected with the seventh overall pick in the 2013 NHL Entry Draft. After all, they have seven blueliners signed to one-way contracts, not including Justin Schultz or Anton Belov.
Still, Nurse had a great camp and managed to stick around deep into the preseason. He had an assist and a plus-two rating in 19:32 minutes of playing time in Edmonton’s 5-3 victory on Tuesday before the team announced that he would be returned to the OHL Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds.
“It sucks,” Nurse told Inside the Oilers. “There’s nothing fun about it but (the Oilers) have the best plan for me and my development and I’m going to go back and dominate my league and hopefully I’ll have the opportunity to play in World Juniors.”
Although he has to be disappointed, Nurse also recognizes what he accomplished. He doesn’t have any regrets when it comes to his on ice performance over the last couple weeks.
The 18-year-old is one of the Oilers’ most promising prospects and given that Edmonton only has two defensemen signed to one-way contracts beyond 2013-14, it wouldn’t be surprising if the team leaves an opening so that he has a shot to earn a spot next season.
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 5
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 19
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 20
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 5
- Struggling Coyotes ‘not anywhere good enough,’ says GM 9
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 8
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 5
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)