Sep 25, 2013, 9:03 AM EST
Edmonton Oilers defenseman Darnell Nurse was a long shot to make the team after being selected with the seventh overall pick in the 2013 NHL Entry Draft. After all, they have seven blueliners signed to one-way contracts, not including Justin Schultz or Anton Belov.
Still, Nurse had a great camp and managed to stick around deep into the preseason. He had an assist and a plus-two rating in 19:32 minutes of playing time in Edmonton’s 5-3 victory on Tuesday before the team announced that he would be returned to the OHL Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds.
“It sucks,” Nurse told Inside the Oilers. “There’s nothing fun about it but (the Oilers) have the best plan for me and my development and I’m going to go back and dominate my league and hopefully I’ll have the opportunity to play in World Juniors.”
Although he has to be disappointed, Nurse also recognizes what he accomplished. He doesn’t have any regrets when it comes to his on ice performance over the last couple weeks.
The 18-year-old is one of the Oilers’ most promising prospects and given that Edmonton only has two defensemen signed to one-way contracts beyond 2013-14, it wouldn’t be surprising if the team leaves an opening so that he has a shot to earn a spot next season.
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 71
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 3
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 11
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 87
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (88)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (80)