Sep 25, 2013, 11:04 AM EDT
It’s not like his phone was ringing off the hook with trade ideas or anything, but Washington general manager George McPhee did admit Tuesday that he’d spoken with a few of his counterparts around the league about potential moves.
“I had a couple calls already and we’re just starting to pick up to see what teams are looking to do,” McPhee said, per the Washington Post. “We’ll see what happens over the next few days. I don’t know that we’ll actually make a trade, we’ll see. There are different ways to do things with the cap and with your roster that you’re not going to lose anybody you don’t want to lose.”
There are teams out there — e.g. the New Jersey Devils, after they signed Damien Brunner — that need to pare down their rosters before the regular season starts Oct. 1.
In some cases, a team may seek to trade a player that it would prefer to send to the minors, but thinks that player would be picked up on waivers. Which is to say, don’t hold your breath for any major trades, but you can probably expect some tinkering in the next few days.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 39
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 8
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 53
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)