Sep 25, 2013, 11:04 AM EDT
It’s not like his phone was ringing off the hook with trade ideas or anything, but Washington general manager George McPhee did admit Tuesday that he’d spoken with a few of his counterparts around the league about potential moves.
“I had a couple calls already and we’re just starting to pick up to see what teams are looking to do,” McPhee said, per the Washington Post. “We’ll see what happens over the next few days. I don’t know that we’ll actually make a trade, we’ll see. There are different ways to do things with the cap and with your roster that you’re not going to lose anybody you don’t want to lose.”
There are teams out there — e.g. the New Jersey Devils, after they signed Damien Brunner — that need to pare down their rosters before the regular season starts Oct. 1.
In some cases, a team may seek to trade a player that it would prefer to send to the minors, but thinks that player would be picked up on waivers. Which is to say, don’t hold your breath for any major trades, but you can probably expect some tinkering in the next few days.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 12
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 9
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)