Sep 25, 2013, 1:31 PM EDT
A day after his fitness received only a lukewarm endorsement from head coach John Tortorella, Canucks forward Zack Kassian was vowing to take advantage of the extra training time — courtesy an eight-game suspension for breaking Sam Gagner‘s jaw — that he’ll be afforded the next few weeks.
“I need to make sure I stay on top of things,” Kassian said today, per The Province. “If you’re looking for a positive, it’s a time to get into even better shape than I was. I have to look forward to something and it’s getting into even better shape.”
Yesterday, Tortorella referred to Kassian’s fitness as merely “OK,” adding that the suspension “gives us a chance to really nail him as far as conditioning. That’s one plus. And he will get nailed.”
The Canucks are hoping for big things from Kassian in 2013-14. The 22-year-old winger is expected to get the opportunity to skate with the Sedin twins on Vancouver’s first line.
Before he was suspended, however, Kassian’s performance in two preseason contests failed to draw a ton of praise.
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 14
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 1
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 16
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13