Sep 25, 2013, 1:26 PM EDT
Kundratek, 23, was caught up in a numbers game. The Caps have a glut of defensemen in the system — 10 remain on the active roster — and head coach Adam Oates suggested the team’s financial situation played a role.
From the Post:
“We’ve got a lot of guys. Obviously it’s a salary cap era, so there are factors involved,” Oates said. “Talked to him this morning, he’s a good hockey player. If he gets picked up, I hope he does well. If he doesn’t, I hope we see him again.”
Kundratek’s departure removes his $550,000 salary cap hit from the Capitals cap equation, giving them a little more room to maneuver with now $1,215,705 in space, according to Capgeek, before accounting for the possibility of adding Tom Wilson or any other prospect.
A former third-round pick of the Rangers in 2008, Kundratek was acquired by Washington in 2011 and played a decent role for the Caps last year, scoring seven points in 25 games while averaging over 16 minutes a night.
Given he’s only 23, has some good NHL experience and carries a pretty cheap contract, it’s very possible Kundratek doesn’t clear waivers and is scooped up by another team.
- Once again, Carlyle’s Leafs are searching for answers 3
- Video: Sens, Leafs, Habs combine for beautiful tribute following Ottawa shootings 4
- Sleepy Sharks hit new low in loss to Buffalo 11
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 8
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 34
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (83)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? (37)
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case (36)