Sep 25, 2013, 8:35 PM EDT
While relative newcomers such as Jay Bouwmeester and Derek Roy should carry some weight, the St. Louis Blues’ hopes for a deeper playoff run likely rests on the development of young players. From the sound of things, Jaden Schwartz could be one of those guys who makes a big jump.
Blues head coach Ken Hitchcock praised the 21-year-old’s training camp work effusively to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch on Wednesday.
“He’s been our best player,” Hitchcock said. “I can put him anywhere he wants. Whoever he plays with, he makes better.
“He’s not one of those guys you question. We’ll find a significant role for him because we’re going to need him on the ice a lot. We’ll find a really significant role for him.”
The “whoever he plays with” element could be a catalyst for Schwartz improving on a tepid first full season of work; he managed 13 points in 45 regular season games and just an assist in six postseason contests in 2013. Those numbers could go up considerably if Roy and Chris Stewart are his linemates, as the Post-Dispatch anticipates.
(Tonight he’s rolling with Vladimir Sobotka and Dmitrij Jaskin, though.)
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 2
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 7
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 18
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)