Sep 25, 2013, 8:35 PM EST
While relative newcomers such as Jay Bouwmeester and Derek Roy should carry some weight, the St. Louis Blues’ hopes for a deeper playoff run likely rests on the development of young players. From the sound of things, Jaden Schwartz could be one of those guys who makes a big jump.
Blues head coach Ken Hitchcock praised the 21-year-old’s training camp work effusively to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch on Wednesday.
“He’s been our best player,” Hitchcock said. “I can put him anywhere he wants. Whoever he plays with, he makes better.
“He’s not one of those guys you question. We’ll find a significant role for him because we’re going to need him on the ice a lot. We’ll find a really significant role for him.”
The “whoever he plays with” element could be a catalyst for Schwartz improving on a tepid first full season of work; he managed 13 points in 45 regular season games and just an assist in six postseason contests in 2013. Those numbers could go up considerably if Roy and Chris Stewart are his linemates, as the Post-Dispatch anticipates.
(Tonight he’s rolling with Vladimir Sobotka and Dmitrij Jaskin, though.)
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 18
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 48
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 0
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 4
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 39
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)