Sep 24, 2013, 9:16 PM EDT
After averaging around 14 minutes per game in each of his last two campaigns with the Chicago Blackhawks, Viktor Stalberg signed with the Nashville Predators with the hope he could serve as a top-six forward. Unfortunately, his availability for the start of the season is now unclear.
The Predators announced that Stalberg has suffered an upper-body injury in the first period of Tuesday’s preseason contest against the Tampa Bay Lightning. The didn’t say how serious it is, but he won’t return tonight.
The game isn’t being televised, but Stalberg appeared to injure his right shoulder, according to The Tennessean’s Joshua Cooper.
As much as moving to Nashville is an opportunity for Stalberg, inking him to a four-year, $12 million contract was also important to the Predators. They were one of the worst teams offensively last season and are counting on Stalberg to bolster a rather underwhelming core of forwards.
Update: Predators coach Barry Trotz told Cooper that Stalberg is out for the remainder of the preseason.
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 8
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 31
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 43
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 50
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 33
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 31
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 28
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 53
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 10
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41