Sep 24, 2013, 9:16 PM EDT
After averaging around 14 minutes per game in each of his last two campaigns with the Chicago Blackhawks, Viktor Stalberg signed with the Nashville Predators with the hope he could serve as a top-six forward. Unfortunately, his availability for the start of the season is now unclear.
The Predators announced that Stalberg has suffered an upper-body injury in the first period of Tuesday’s preseason contest against the Tampa Bay Lightning. The didn’t say how serious it is, but he won’t return tonight.
The game isn’t being televised, but Stalberg appeared to injure his right shoulder, according to The Tennessean’s Joshua Cooper.
As much as moving to Nashville is an opportunity for Stalberg, inking him to a four-year, $12 million contract was also important to the Predators. They were one of the worst teams offensively last season and are counting on Stalberg to bolster a rather underwhelming core of forwards.
Update: Predators coach Barry Trotz told Cooper that Stalberg is out for the remainder of the preseason.
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 14
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 4
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 23
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 94
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 10
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 18
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 35
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (94)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (89)