Sep 24, 2013, 9:16 PM EDT
After averaging around 14 minutes per game in each of his last two campaigns with the Chicago Blackhawks, Viktor Stalberg signed with the Nashville Predators with the hope he could serve as a top-six forward. Unfortunately, his availability for the start of the season is now unclear.
The Predators announced that Stalberg has suffered an upper-body injury in the first period of Tuesday’s preseason contest against the Tampa Bay Lightning. The didn’t say how serious it is, but he won’t return tonight.
The game isn’t being televised, but Stalberg appeared to injure his right shoulder, according to The Tennessean’s Joshua Cooper.
As much as moving to Nashville is an opportunity for Stalberg, inking him to a four-year, $12 million contract was also important to the Predators. They were one of the worst teams offensively last season and are counting on Stalberg to bolster a rather underwhelming core of forwards.
Update: Predators coach Barry Trotz told Cooper that Stalberg is out for the remainder of the preseason.
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 12
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 6
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 34
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)