Sep 24, 2013, 9:16 PM EST
After averaging around 14 minutes per game in each of his last two campaigns with the Chicago Blackhawks, Viktor Stalberg signed with the Nashville Predators with the hope he could serve as a top-six forward. Unfortunately, his availability for the start of the season is now unclear.
The Predators announced that Stalberg has suffered an upper-body injury in the first period of Tuesday’s preseason contest against the Tampa Bay Lightning. The didn’t say how serious it is, but he won’t return tonight.
The game isn’t being televised, but Stalberg appeared to injure his right shoulder, according to The Tennessean’s Joshua Cooper.
As much as moving to Nashville is an opportunity for Stalberg, inking him to a four-year, $12 million contract was also important to the Predators. They were one of the worst teams offensively last season and are counting on Stalberg to bolster a rather underwhelming core of forwards.
Update: Predators coach Barry Trotz told Cooper that Stalberg is out for the remainder of the preseason.
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 10
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 8
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 20
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 31
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 54