Sep 24, 2013, 9:16 PM EDT
After averaging around 14 minutes per game in each of his last two campaigns with the Chicago Blackhawks, Viktor Stalberg signed with the Nashville Predators with the hope he could serve as a top-six forward. Unfortunately, his availability for the start of the season is now unclear.
The Predators announced that Stalberg has suffered an upper-body injury in the first period of Tuesday’s preseason contest against the Tampa Bay Lightning. The didn’t say how serious it is, but he won’t return tonight.
The game isn’t being televised, but Stalberg appeared to injure his right shoulder, according to The Tennessean’s Joshua Cooper.
As much as moving to Nashville is an opportunity for Stalberg, inking him to a four-year, $12 million contract was also important to the Predators. They were one of the worst teams offensively last season and are counting on Stalberg to bolster a rather underwhelming core of forwards.
Update: Predators coach Barry Trotz told Cooper that Stalberg is out for the remainder of the preseason.
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 4
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 7
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 17
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 17
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 53
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9