Sep 24, 2013, 4:29 PM EST
“Under Pressure” is a preseason series we’ll be running on PHT. For each team in the NHL, we’ll pick one player, coach, GM, mascot or whatever that everyone will be watching closely this season. Feel free to play the song as you read along. Also feel free to go to the comment section and tell us we picked poorly.
For the New Jersey Devils, we picked … Ryane Clowe.
If fans merely look at Ryane Clowe as a David Clarkson replacement, he’s suddenly off to a remarkably strong head start. Clowe probably won’t get off that easily, though.
Off-year or downward slope?
Maybe it was merely a matter of the Devils solely weighing his resurgence once he was traded to the New York Rangers, but overall, the 30-year-old’s 2013 campaign was a flop. It’s not that rare for a team to pardon an “off year” – especially for a gritty goal scoring forward – yet Devils fans might get antsy if they see a lot of the guy who endured a 28-game goalless streak with the San Jose Sharks.
Things didn’t get off to a great start, either. Clowe already suffered a lower-body injury in the preseason, and while he seems to be recovering, it’s a disturbing omen for some who worried about his recent injury issues (including concussion problems). If the “Devils are too old” narrative builds, he’ll likely slot in there somewhere after Martin Brodeur and Jaromir Jagr.
No doubt, Clowe fits the “tough guy who can score” bill well; one could make a legitimate argument he has a better chance to do that with regularity than Clarkson. Clowe’s the guy with two 22+ goal seasons and three more close to that 20-tally mark, after all.
The Devils are likely to expect him to drive more offense than the Sharks ever really did, though.
New Jersey likely won’t be satisfied unless Clowe affects the scoreboard and the physical side of the game, which could put a lot of pressure on the franchise’s new power forward.
For all of our Under Pressure series, click here.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 9
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 21
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 61
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)