Sep 24, 2013, 12:07 PM EDT
There’s some concern out of Dallas regarding the health of defenseman Trevor Daley.
Daley, 29, looks as though he’ll miss the start of the regular season after sustaining an upper-body injury during Friday’s preseason game against Florida.
“It looks like Trevor will miss a little bit of time,” Dallas head coach Lindy Ruff told Stars Inside Edge. “I don’t think he’ll be able to start the season, but it won’t be a long time.”
An unheralded but important part of the Stars blueline, Daley underwent offseason surgery to correct a neck issue. Following the procedure, he said he felt “great” to open training camp.
But on Tuesday, he told the Dallas Morning News’ Mike Heika the injury suffered Friday was indeed a neck issue. That said, Daley didn’t specify what the problem was.
Daley finished 2013 with 13 points in 44 games while logging 21:24 of ice time on average. He’s expected to be a key component of Dallas’ top-four defense this season, along with Sergei Gonchar, Alex Goligoski and Brenden Dillon.
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 0
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 6
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 57
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)