Sep 24, 2013, 10:42 PM EST
With just 91 seconds left in regulation time, New Jersey Devils goaltender Cory Schneider surrendered a power-play goal to Philadelphia’s Kimmo Timonen, but held on to preserve the 2-1 victory. In other words it was a moot goal in a game that didn’t even count.
Except to say it was the only goal that Schneider allowed in his first preseason run with the Devils. For 158:29 minutes he was perfect. It was a stretch both impressive and ultimately futile, as Martin Brodeur was already tapped as the team’s opening game starter last week.
For his part, Schneider shrugged off the accomplishment.
“Come the start of the year no one is going to care what happened,” Schneider told the Star-Ledger. “They’re going to care going forward.”
True, but this serves as a small preview of what the New Jersey Devils’ goaltending controversy might look like this season.
Forget his preseason numbers. Either way, Schneider is a superb goaltender worthy of a starting gig, but Brodeur is a legend gearing up for what could be his final season. Assuming Brodeur doesn’t suffer a significant injury or completely fall apart, it’s hard to imagine the Devils benching Brodeur for long stretches of time, even if Schneider ends up producing statistically superior numbers.
Speaking of which Brodeur, who hasn’t been nearly as good in the preseason, will wrap up the Devils’ exhibition schedule on Thursday.
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 10
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 1
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 40
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 52
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (40)
- Panthers announced attendance Tuesday night lowest since 2008 (37)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)