Sep 24, 2013, 10:42 PM EDT
With just 91 seconds left in regulation time, New Jersey Devils goaltender Cory Schneider surrendered a power-play goal to Philadelphia’s Kimmo Timonen, but held on to preserve the 2-1 victory. In other words it was a moot goal in a game that didn’t even count.
Except to say it was the only goal that Schneider allowed in his first preseason run with the Devils. For 158:29 minutes he was perfect. It was a stretch both impressive and ultimately futile, as Martin Brodeur was already tapped as the team’s opening game starter last week.
For his part, Schneider shrugged off the accomplishment.
“Come the start of the year no one is going to care what happened,” Schneider told the Star-Ledger. “They’re going to care going forward.”
True, but this serves as a small preview of what the New Jersey Devils’ goaltending controversy might look like this season.
Forget his preseason numbers. Either way, Schneider is a superb goaltender worthy of a starting gig, but Brodeur is a legend gearing up for what could be his final season. Assuming Brodeur doesn’t suffer a significant injury or completely fall apart, it’s hard to imagine the Devils benching Brodeur for long stretches of time, even if Schneider ends up producing statistically superior numbers.
Speaking of which Brodeur, who hasn’t been nearly as good in the preseason, will wrap up the Devils’ exhibition schedule on Thursday.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 18
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)