Sep 24, 2013, 10:42 PM EDT
With just 91 seconds left in regulation time, New Jersey Devils goaltender Cory Schneider surrendered a power-play goal to Philadelphia’s Kimmo Timonen, but held on to preserve the 2-1 victory. In other words it was a moot goal in a game that didn’t even count.
Except to say it was the only goal that Schneider allowed in his first preseason run with the Devils. For 158:29 minutes he was perfect. It was a stretch both impressive and ultimately futile, as Martin Brodeur was already tapped as the team’s opening game starter last week.
For his part, Schneider shrugged off the accomplishment.
“Come the start of the year no one is going to care what happened,” Schneider told the Star-Ledger. “They’re going to care going forward.”
True, but this serves as a small preview of what the New Jersey Devils’ goaltending controversy might look like this season.
Forget his preseason numbers. Either way, Schneider is a superb goaltender worthy of a starting gig, but Brodeur is a legend gearing up for what could be his final season. Assuming Brodeur doesn’t suffer a significant injury or completely fall apart, it’s hard to imagine the Devils benching Brodeur for long stretches of time, even if Schneider ends up producing statistically superior numbers.
Speaking of which Brodeur, who hasn’t been nearly as good in the preseason, will wrap up the Devils’ exhibition schedule on Thursday.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 70
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 33
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)