Sep 24, 2013, 4:56 PM EST
The second punishment from Sunday’s Toronto-Buffalo melee has been handed down.
On Tuesday, the NHL fined Sabres head coach Ron Rolston an undisclosed sum for “player selection and team conduct” during the game.
The incident began at 10:01 of the third period, following a fight between Buffalos’ Corey Tropp and Toronto’s Jamie Devane. John Scott, who was already on the ice, lined up for the ensuing faceoff and then started an altercation with Leafs winger Phil Kessel.
What transpired was a full line brawl that saw over 200 penalty minutes handed out. Toronto forward David Clarkson, who left the bench to engage in the fight, has already been suspended (mandatory) 10 games for his role in the fisticuffs, though it’s been reported he may appeal the suspension.
Kessel has a disciplinary hearing on Tuesday afternoon to decide his fate. He was given a match penalty for swinging his stick at Scott on two separate occasions.
As for Rolston’s fine, do expect to hear some questions as to what exact rule(s) he broke. The fight did not occur in the final five minutes of the game — thereby negating the coaching fine in rule 46.22 — so it’ll be curious to hear the league’s reasoning… if we do hear anything.
Mike Harrington of the Buffalo News also points out the Sabres were down forwards due to injury, and that Scott had played nearly eight-and-a-half minutes prior to the incident. Also, the Maple Leafs had the final change.
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 70
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 95
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 6
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 87
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 179
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (179)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (95)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (89)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (87)