Sep 24, 2013, 4:56 PM EST
The second punishment from Sunday’s Toronto-Buffalo melee has been handed down.
On Tuesday, the NHL fined Sabres head coach Ron Rolston an undisclosed sum for “player selection and team conduct” during the game.
The incident began at 10:01 of the third period, following a fight between Buffalos’ Corey Tropp and Toronto’s Jamie Devane. John Scott, who was already on the ice, lined up for the ensuing faceoff and then started an altercation with Leafs winger Phil Kessel.
What transpired was a full line brawl that saw over 200 penalty minutes handed out. Toronto forward David Clarkson, who left the bench to engage in the fight, has already been suspended (mandatory) 10 games for his role in the fisticuffs, though it’s been reported he may appeal the suspension.
Kessel has a disciplinary hearing on Tuesday afternoon to decide his fate. He was given a match penalty for swinging his stick at Scott on two separate occasions.
As for Rolston’s fine, do expect to hear some questions as to what exact rule(s) he broke. The fight did not occur in the final five minutes of the game — thereby negating the coaching fine in rule 46.22 — so it’ll be curious to hear the league’s reasoning… if we do hear anything.
Mike Harrington of the Buffalo News also points out the Sabres were down forwards due to injury, and that Scott had played nearly eight-and-a-half minutes prior to the incident. Also, the Maple Leafs had the final change.
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 38
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 15
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 36
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 81
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)