Sep 24, 2013, 4:56 PM EST
The second punishment from Sunday’s Toronto-Buffalo melee has been handed down.
On Tuesday, the NHL fined Sabres head coach Ron Rolston an undisclosed sum for “player selection and team conduct” during the game.
The incident began at 10:01 of the third period, following a fight between Buffalos’ Corey Tropp and Toronto’s Jamie Devane. John Scott, who was already on the ice, lined up for the ensuing faceoff and then started an altercation with Leafs winger Phil Kessel.
What transpired was a full line brawl that saw over 200 penalty minutes handed out. Toronto forward David Clarkson, who left the bench to engage in the fight, has already been suspended (mandatory) 10 games for his role in the fisticuffs, though it’s been reported he may appeal the suspension.
Kessel has a disciplinary hearing on Tuesday afternoon to decide his fate. He was given a match penalty for swinging his stick at Scott on two separate occasions.
As for Rolston’s fine, do expect to hear some questions as to what exact rule(s) he broke. The fight did not occur in the final five minutes of the game — thereby negating the coaching fine in rule 46.22 — so it’ll be curious to hear the league’s reasoning… if we do hear anything.
Mike Harrington of the Buffalo News also points out the Sabres were down forwards due to injury, and that Scott had played nearly eight-and-a-half minutes prior to the incident. Also, the Maple Leafs had the final change.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 56
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 71
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (142)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (70)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)