Sep 24, 2013, 4:56 PM EDT
The second punishment from Sunday’s Toronto-Buffalo melee has been handed down.
On Tuesday, the NHL fined Sabres head coach Ron Rolston an undisclosed sum for “player selection and team conduct” during the game.
The incident began at 10:01 of the third period, following a fight between Buffalos’ Corey Tropp and Toronto’s Jamie Devane. John Scott, who was already on the ice, lined up for the ensuing faceoff and then started an altercation with Leafs winger Phil Kessel.
What transpired was a full line brawl that saw over 200 penalty minutes handed out. Toronto forward David Clarkson, who left the bench to engage in the fight, has already been suspended (mandatory) 10 games for his role in the fisticuffs, though it’s been reported he may appeal the suspension.
Kessel has a disciplinary hearing on Tuesday afternoon to decide his fate. He was given a match penalty for swinging his stick at Scott on two separate occasions.
As for Rolston’s fine, do expect to hear some questions as to what exact rule(s) he broke. The fight did not occur in the final five minutes of the game — thereby negating the coaching fine in rule 46.22 — so it’ll be curious to hear the league’s reasoning… if we do hear anything.
Mike Harrington of the Buffalo News also points out the Sabres were down forwards due to injury, and that Scott had played nearly eight-and-a-half minutes prior to the incident. Also, the Maple Leafs had the final change.
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 7
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 22
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 7
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 13
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 47
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 21
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22