Sep 24, 2013, 1:04 PM EDT
A couple of interesting developments from the waiver wire on Tuesday…
Oilers waive Omark
Omark, 26, has a colorful history with the Oilers. After appearing in 65 games with the club from 2010-12, he left the team after being dispatched to the AHL (and not receiving a RFA offer), signing in the Swiss League with EV Zug.
It was in Switzerland where Omark revitalized his career, leading the National League A with 69 points in 48 games.
In August, the Oilers — who’d retained Omark’s NHL rights — inked him to a one-year, two-way deal worth $600,000 at the NHL level and $100,000 in the AHL.
Gifted offensively, Omark could draw interest from a team looking to add punch up front without spending a lot of money.
Wild waive Blum
The Minnesota Wild have placed defenseman Jonathon Blum on waivers for the purpose of sending him to AHL Iowa.
Blum, 24, has fallen on tough times since being taken 23rd overall by Nashville at the 2007 NHL Entry Draft. Though he did have a decent 2013 campaign with the Preds — 35 games played, seven points, minus-1 rating — the team opted not to re-sign him this summer.
He proceeded to ink a one-year, two-way deal with Minnesota in July, partly because of the potential to crack Minnesota’s seemingly crackable defense.
That plan didn’t come to fruition. Blum was sent packing with Minnesota still carrying nine defensemen in camp.
- Lightning sign Brenden Morrow for one year 23
- Jackets sign Dubinsky through 2020-21 38
- AHL’s new overtime rules include 3-on-3 play 27
- Report: Avs, O’Reilly likely headed to arbitration 64
- Armstrong lays out what Blues offered KHL-bound Sobotka 15
- Blues re-sign Ott; Sobotka to KHL? 35
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal 62
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions 170
- Jets can’t let Kane situation fester much longer 57
- Report: Sidney Crosby will undergo wrist surgery 59
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions (170)
- Pros and cons of Subban filing for arbitration (67)
- Report: Avs, O’Reilly likely headed to arbitration (65)
- Boyle wanted Big Apple after playing in ‘nontraditional hockey markets’ of Florida, California (63)
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal (62)