Sep 24, 2013, 1:04 PM EST
A couple of interesting developments from the waiver wire on Tuesday…
Oilers waive Omark
Omark, 26, has a colorful history with the Oilers. After appearing in 65 games with the club from 2010-12, he left the team after being dispatched to the AHL (and not receiving a RFA offer), signing in the Swiss League with EV Zug.
It was in Switzerland where Omark revitalized his career, leading the National League A with 69 points in 48 games.
In August, the Oilers — who’d retained Omark’s NHL rights — inked him to a one-year, two-way deal worth $600,000 at the NHL level and $100,000 in the AHL.
Gifted offensively, Omark could draw interest from a team looking to add punch up front without spending a lot of money.
Wild waive Blum
The Minnesota Wild have placed defenseman Jonathon Blum on waivers for the purpose of sending him to AHL Iowa.
Blum, 24, has fallen on tough times since being taken 23rd overall by Nashville at the 2007 NHL Entry Draft. Though he did have a decent 2013 campaign with the Preds — 35 games played, seven points, minus-1 rating — the team opted not to re-sign him this summer.
He proceeded to ink a one-year, two-way deal with Minnesota in July, partly because of the potential to crack Minnesota’s seemingly crackable defense.
That plan didn’t come to fruition. Blum was sent packing with Minnesota still carrying nine defensemen in camp.
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 40
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 31
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 6
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 31
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 102
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 132
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (132)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (110)