Sep 24, 2013, 1:04 PM EDT
A couple of interesting developments from the waiver wire on Tuesday…
Oilers waive Omark
Omark, 26, has a colorful history with the Oilers. After appearing in 65 games with the club from 2010-12, he left the team after being dispatched to the AHL (and not receiving a RFA offer), signing in the Swiss League with EV Zug.
It was in Switzerland where Omark revitalized his career, leading the National League A with 69 points in 48 games.
In August, the Oilers — who’d retained Omark’s NHL rights — inked him to a one-year, two-way deal worth $600,000 at the NHL level and $100,000 in the AHL.
Gifted offensively, Omark could draw interest from a team looking to add punch up front without spending a lot of money.
Wild waive Blum
The Minnesota Wild have placed defenseman Jonathon Blum on waivers for the purpose of sending him to AHL Iowa.
Blum, 24, has fallen on tough times since being taken 23rd overall by Nashville at the 2007 NHL Entry Draft. Though he did have a decent 2013 campaign with the Preds — 35 games played, seven points, minus-1 rating — the team opted not to re-sign him this summer.
He proceeded to ink a one-year, two-way deal with Minnesota in July, partly because of the potential to crack Minnesota’s seemingly crackable defense.
That plan didn’t come to fruition. Blum was sent packing with Minnesota still carrying nine defensemen in camp.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 17
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 48
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 22
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 35
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 19
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)