Sep 24, 2013, 1:04 PM EDT
A couple of interesting developments from the waiver wire on Tuesday…
Oilers waive Omark
Omark, 26, has a colorful history with the Oilers. After appearing in 65 games with the club from 2010-12, he left the team after being dispatched to the AHL (and not receiving a RFA offer), signing in the Swiss League with EV Zug.
It was in Switzerland where Omark revitalized his career, leading the National League A with 69 points in 48 games.
In August, the Oilers — who’d retained Omark’s NHL rights — inked him to a one-year, two-way deal worth $600,000 at the NHL level and $100,000 in the AHL.
Gifted offensively, Omark could draw interest from a team looking to add punch up front without spending a lot of money.
Wild waive Blum
The Minnesota Wild have placed defenseman Jonathon Blum on waivers for the purpose of sending him to AHL Iowa.
Blum, 24, has fallen on tough times since being taken 23rd overall by Nashville at the 2007 NHL Entry Draft. Though he did have a decent 2013 campaign with the Preds — 35 games played, seven points, minus-1 rating — the team opted not to re-sign him this summer.
He proceeded to ink a one-year, two-way deal with Minnesota in July, partly because of the potential to crack Minnesota’s seemingly crackable defense.
That plan didn’t come to fruition. Blum was sent packing with Minnesota still carrying nine defensemen in camp.
- Video: Johnny Hockey puts on a show in Flames win 0
- Video: Red Wings’ fans show support for Gordie Howe 0
- Burrows suspended three games for ‘late hit to the head’ on Emelin 11
- Blues say Center for Disease Control hasn’t been to Scottrade, don’t plan on it coming 7
- Agent: Vanek was not ‘involved’ in money laundering 12
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 13
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 4
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 38
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 37
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (46)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)