Sep 24, 2013, 1:04 PM EST
A couple of interesting developments from the waiver wire on Tuesday…
Oilers waive Omark
Omark, 26, has a colorful history with the Oilers. After appearing in 65 games with the club from 2010-12, he left the team after being dispatched to the AHL (and not receiving a RFA offer), signing in the Swiss League with EV Zug.
It was in Switzerland where Omark revitalized his career, leading the National League A with 69 points in 48 games.
In August, the Oilers — who’d retained Omark’s NHL rights — inked him to a one-year, two-way deal worth $600,000 at the NHL level and $100,000 in the AHL.
Gifted offensively, Omark could draw interest from a team looking to add punch up front without spending a lot of money.
Wild waive Blum
The Minnesota Wild have placed defenseman Jonathon Blum on waivers for the purpose of sending him to AHL Iowa.
Blum, 24, has fallen on tough times since being taken 23rd overall by Nashville at the 2007 NHL Entry Draft. Though he did have a decent 2013 campaign with the Preds — 35 games played, seven points, minus-1 rating — the team opted not to re-sign him this summer.
He proceeded to ink a one-year, two-way deal with Minnesota in July, partly because of the potential to crack Minnesota’s seemingly crackable defense.
That plan didn’t come to fruition. Blum was sent packing with Minnesota still carrying nine defensemen in camp.
- Video: Ovechkin becomes sixth fastest player to 400 goals in Caps win 3
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 14
- Assault charges against Varlamov dropped 31
- Carlyle on HBO presence: ‘It’s not normal what we’re living right now’ 5
- Orpik: First days after Thornton attack were ‘miserable’ 69
- Video: Dustin Brown ejected for kneeing, Tomas Hertl won’t return (update) 64
- No supplemental discipline for Caps’ Wilson 32
- Habs healthy scratch Briere for first time this season 7
- Chiarelli says he’s not trading Marchand 21
- Schenn to play tonight; Oates maintains Wilson hit was ‘totally clean’ 54
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (103)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)
- Video: Penguins defeat Leafs, Bortuzzo called for illegal hit to head (71)