Sep 24, 2013, 1:16 PM EST
Toronto forward David Clarkson is “definitely disputing” the automatic 10-game suspension he received for leaving the bench on an illegal line change to join an altercation in Sunday’s Maple Leafs-Sabres game, according to David Alter of 590 The Fan.
Other reporters, including ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun and Sportsnet’s Chris Johnston, have also chimed in on the possibility of an appeal.
What Clarkson could cite in an appeal, we’re not entirely sure. Even Leafs head coach Randy Carlyle admitted after the game that Clarkson “made a mistake.” From the NHL’s ruling:
The suspension is mandated by Rule 70.10, which states: “The first player to leave the players’ or penalty bench illegally during an altercation or for the purpose of starting an altercation from either or both teams shall be suspended without pay for the next 10 regular League and/or playoff games of his team.”
See anything in there he could appeal? What would Jackie Chiles see?
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 13
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 29
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 64
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)