Sep 24, 2013, 12:38 PM EST
Brian McGrattan liked what he saw Sunday night in Toronto. For the Calgary Flames’ enforcer, the line brawl between the Leafs and Sabres was proof that players of his ilk would always be needed in the NHL.
“Everybody thought the skill game was going to take over two or three years ago, but the game found itself again,” McGrattan said, per the Calgary Sun.
“The league is never going to be a soft, skilled league like so many experts thought. It’s never going to happen. There’s always going to be big, tough, strong guys who are going to play to hurt you, which is why every team has to have one and every team is going back to the old ways.”
McGrattan need only look up the road to the Flames’ Alberta rivals for more support for his theory. On Monday, Edmonton picked up Steve MacIntyre off waivers in a move that general manager Craig MacTavish admitted was directly linked to a preseason game against the Canucks in which Vancouver’s Dale Weise took a run at one of the Oilers’ young stars, Taylor Hall. That same contest also saw Zack Kassian break Sam Gagner’s jaw with his stick.
While both Weise and Kassian were disciplined by the NHL, the Oilers are clearly hoping MacIntyre will offer his own brand of deterrence. And if not that, at least retribution.
- In praise of the Hamburglar 11
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 6
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 17
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 35
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 52
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (173)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)