Sep 24, 2013, 5:45 PM EDT
Kessel, who was jumped by Scott off the faceoff, had received a match penalty for intent to injure.
“While we acknowledge that Kessel’s initial motivation was self defense, he persists and swings his stick again, even after having escaped the immediate threat from Scott,” explained NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan.
Shanahan also notes that Kessel’s sentence included consideration of a stick-swinging incident against Philadelphia earlier in the preseason, as shown in the explanatory video:
Kessel will now miss Toronto’s game tonight against Ottawa and the Friday-Saturday back-to-backs against Detroit on Sept. 27 and 28. He will be eligible to return when the Leafs open the regular season against Montreal on Oct. 1.
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 5
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 9
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)