Sep 24, 2013, 8:50 PM EDT
The New Jersey Devils have a 1-0 lead through 40 minutes in their preseason match against Philadelphia, but that’s likely not the Flyers’ top concern at this point.
Flyers forward Jakub Voracek was on a breakaway when he was hooked by blueliner Bryce Salvador at 7:05 of the second period. That caused Voracek’s lower back to collide with the post, according to the Philadelphia Inquirer’s Sam Carchidi.
Voracek was awarded a penalty shot and took it, but went to the locker room afterward. The Philadelphia Flyers have confirmed that he won’t return due to what they’re classifying as an upper-body injury. Beyond that, there hasn’t been any details about the severity of his injury yet.
Of course, any time Voracek misses hurts the Flyers. He broke out last season with 22 goals and 46 points in 48 games and the team is counting on him to be an offensive leader again this season. As far as tonight’s game is concerned, Vincent Lecavalier has taken Voracek’s place on the top line.
Update: Flyers GM Paul Holmgren doesn’t think Voracek’s injury is serious, according to CSN Philly’s Tim Panaccio.
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 16
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 46
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 16
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 44
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 12
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 21
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 24
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 39