Sep 24, 2013, 8:50 PM EDT
The New Jersey Devils have a 1-0 lead through 40 minutes in their preseason match against Philadelphia, but that’s likely not the Flyers’ top concern at this point.
Flyers forward Jakub Voracek was on a breakaway when he was hooked by blueliner Bryce Salvador at 7:05 of the second period. That caused Voracek’s lower back to collide with the post, according to the Philadelphia Inquirer’s Sam Carchidi.
Voracek was awarded a penalty shot and took it, but went to the locker room afterward. The Philadelphia Flyers have confirmed that he won’t return due to what they’re classifying as an upper-body injury. Beyond that, there hasn’t been any details about the severity of his injury yet.
Of course, any time Voracek misses hurts the Flyers. He broke out last season with 22 goals and 46 points in 48 games and the team is counting on him to be an offensive leader again this season. As far as tonight’s game is concerned, Vincent Lecavalier has taken Voracek’s place on the top line.
Update: Flyers GM Paul Holmgren doesn’t think Voracek’s injury is serious, according to CSN Philly’s Tim Panaccio.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 17
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 94
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5