Sep 24, 2013, 8:50 PM EDT
The New Jersey Devils have a 1-0 lead through 40 minutes in their preseason match against Philadelphia, but that’s likely not the Flyers’ top concern at this point.
Flyers forward Jakub Voracek was on a breakaway when he was hooked by blueliner Bryce Salvador at 7:05 of the second period. That caused Voracek’s lower back to collide with the post, according to the Philadelphia Inquirer’s Sam Carchidi.
Voracek was awarded a penalty shot and took it, but went to the locker room afterward. The Philadelphia Flyers have confirmed that he won’t return due to what they’re classifying as an upper-body injury. Beyond that, there hasn’t been any details about the severity of his injury yet.
Of course, any time Voracek misses hurts the Flyers. He broke out last season with 22 goals and 46 points in 48 games and the team is counting on him to be an offensive leader again this season. As far as tonight’s game is concerned, Vincent Lecavalier has taken Voracek’s place on the top line.
Update: Flyers GM Paul Holmgren doesn’t think Voracek’s injury is serious, according to CSN Philly’s Tim Panaccio.
- Hitch needs ‘time to reflect’ before making decision on future 11
- Rutherford admits mistakes, but has support of Penguins ownership 6
- Wings’ Kronwall has hearing today for hit on Kucherov 32
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 37
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 26
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 10
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 31
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 80
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)