Sep 24, 2013, 8:50 PM EDT
The New Jersey Devils have a 1-0 lead through 40 minutes in their preseason match against Philadelphia, but that’s likely not the Flyers’ top concern at this point.
Flyers forward Jakub Voracek was on a breakaway when he was hooked by blueliner Bryce Salvador at 7:05 of the second period. That caused Voracek’s lower back to collide with the post, according to the Philadelphia Inquirer’s Sam Carchidi.
Voracek was awarded a penalty shot and took it, but went to the locker room afterward. The Philadelphia Flyers have confirmed that he won’t return due to what they’re classifying as an upper-body injury. Beyond that, there hasn’t been any details about the severity of his injury yet.
Of course, any time Voracek misses hurts the Flyers. He broke out last season with 22 goals and 46 points in 48 games and the team is counting on him to be an offensive leader again this season. As far as tonight’s game is concerned, Vincent Lecavalier has taken Voracek’s place on the top line.
Update: Flyers GM Paul Holmgren doesn’t think Voracek’s injury is serious, according to CSN Philly’s Tim Panaccio.
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 11
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 14
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 33
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25