Sep 24, 2013, 8:50 PM EST
The New Jersey Devils have a 1-0 lead through 40 minutes in their preseason match against Philadelphia, but that’s likely not the Flyers’ top concern at this point.
Flyers forward Jakub Voracek was on a breakaway when he was hooked by blueliner Bryce Salvador at 7:05 of the second period. That caused Voracek’s lower back to collide with the post, according to the Philadelphia Inquirer’s Sam Carchidi.
Voracek was awarded a penalty shot and took it, but went to the locker room afterward. The Philadelphia Flyers have confirmed that he won’t return due to what they’re classifying as an upper-body injury. Beyond that, there hasn’t been any details about the severity of his injury yet.
Of course, any time Voracek misses hurts the Flyers. He broke out last season with 22 goals and 46 points in 48 games and the team is counting on him to be an offensive leader again this season. As far as tonight’s game is concerned, Vincent Lecavalier has taken Voracek’s place on the top line.
Update: Flyers GM Paul Holmgren doesn’t think Voracek’s injury is serious, according to CSN Philly’s Tim Panaccio.
- In praise of the Hamburglar 11
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 6
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 17
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 35
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 53
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39