Sep 24, 2013, 6:09 PM EDT
Jaromir Jagr‘s tenure with the New Jersey Devils got off to a rocky start, but fans likely won’t mind if he’s ready for the season opener. Right now, it looks like he might be able to do them one better.
Jagr practiced on Tuesday for the first time since Sept. 12 due to a hip/back injury he believes he sustained during his 15-hour flight to New Jersey on Sept. 9. With that out of the way, he’s starting to think about playing in a preseason contest.
“If I’m going to have a good practice tomorrow, maybe it would be a good idea to play against Philly (in Thursday’s preseason finale),” Jagr told the Bergen Record. “But you guys have got to talk to the coaches first and (GM) Lou (Lamoriello) is going to make the decision.”
It’s worth noting that Tuesday’s practice was lightly attended because players projected to participate in tonight’s preseason contest weren’t in attendance. He’ll skate with the team again on Wednesday when they have a full practice.
Even at the age of 41, Jagr is a solid top-six forward, but his health are an ongoing concern. Although he might still be available for the Devils’ season opener, this day-to-day ailment could unfortunately be a preview of things to come.
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 21
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 16
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 27
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 61
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (65)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)