Sep 24, 2013, 9:54 AM EDT
Dany Heatley has been on a slow downward path since his back-to-back 50-goal campaigns with the Ottawa Senators, but that decline has increased in recent years with him recording 64 and 53 points in 2010-11 and 2011-12 respectively. He then scored just 11 goals and 21 points in 36 games last season.
His 2013 campaign was ultimately cut short due to a shoulder injury that led to surgery. If it wasn’t for that injury, the Wild might have bought out the final campaign of his six-year, $45 million contract.
It’s moot now though, he’s here and looking to do “a lot more than I had the last two years,” according to NHL.com.
Wild coach Mike Yeo is excited about the possibility of having Heatley back and healthy.
“Talking to him, I know that he’s extremely motivated,” Yeo said. “I know that he’s going to come in looking to prove himself.”
Heatley is 32 years old, so it’s not as if a comeback is impossible. In fact, a great season from Heatley could convince a team to sign him to another, albeit significantly less lucrative, long-term deal despite his previous disappointments.
More importantly for the Wild, a solid campaign from Heatley would go a long way towards providing the Wild with the offensive depth needed to take another step forward after ending their playoff drought last season.
Oct 30, 2014, 8:01 AM EDT
The numbers are even more striking when you compare Oct. 2014 to Oct. 2003
Oct 30, 2014, 12:56 AM EDT
Nashville continues its strong start to 2014-15.
Oct 29, 2014, 11:50 PM EDT
He sat out the third period for Grand Rapids because of soreness.
Oct 29, 2014, 11:21 PM EDT
Interesting discussion between Bob McKenzie and Mike Milbury.
Oct 29, 2014, 10:45 PM EDT
Some controversial calls on a light Wednesday night.
Oct 29, 2014, 10:19 PM EDT
Detroit’s big guns came through.
Oct 29, 2014, 9:39 PM EDT
Oct 29, 2014, 8:53 PM EDT
Gustav Nyquist got that 1-0 lead back.
Oct 29, 2014, 8:06 PM EDT
Oct 29, 2014, 7:33 PM EDT
“No news is bad news” for the veteran forward.
Oct 29, 2014, 7:14 PM EDT
Also: a fun story from Mike Milbury’s playing days.
Oct 29, 2014, 7:04 PM EDT
It appears that the health of “Mr. Hockey” has been improving.
Oct 29, 2014, 6:45 PM EDT
He hopes to end his scoring slump against Detroit tonight.
Oct 29, 2014, 6:33 PM EDT
Can Alex Ovechkin break his cold streak?
Oct 29, 2014, 6:19 PM EDT
Markus Granlund gets called up amid many injuries.
Oct 29, 2014, 5:50 PM EDT
“Right now, the playing situation is out of my control.”
Oct 29, 2014, 5:21 PM EDT
Punished for making the head the primary point of contact.
Oct 29, 2014, 5:05 PM EDT
Colorado has just two wins in its first 10 outings.
Oct 29, 2014, 4:21 PM EDT
News and notes from around the crease…
Oct 29, 2014, 4:04 PM EDT
Less (ice time) may mean more (points) for Mike Green.
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 3
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 4
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 35
- Report: Gryba, Tropp avoid punishment after getting tossed for hits 6
- What they’re saying about the Sabres (and it’s not good) 21
- NHL on NBCSN: Caps, Red Wings battle after hotly contested 13-14 series 5
- Miller wins 300th, Canes finish Oct. without single victory 7
- Video: Backes crashes into Daley, falls to ice hard (Updated) 5
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (61)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)