Sep 24, 2013, 9:54 AM EST
Dany Heatley has been on a slow downward path since his back-to-back 50-goal campaigns with the Ottawa Senators, but that decline has increased in recent years with him recording 64 and 53 points in 2010-11 and 2011-12 respectively. He then scored just 11 goals and 21 points in 36 games last season.
His 2013 campaign was ultimately cut short due to a shoulder injury that led to surgery. If it wasn’t for that injury, the Wild might have bought out the final campaign of his six-year, $45 million contract.
It’s moot now though, he’s here and looking to do “a lot more than I had the last two years,” according to NHL.com.
Wild coach Mike Yeo is excited about the possibility of having Heatley back and healthy.
“Talking to him, I know that he’s extremely motivated,” Yeo said. “I know that he’s going to come in looking to prove himself.”
Heatley is 32 years old, so it’s not as if a comeback is impossible. In fact, a great season from Heatley could convince a team to sign him to another, albeit significantly less lucrative, long-term deal despite his previous disappointments.
More importantly for the Wild, a solid campaign from Heatley would go a long way towards providing the Wild with the offensive depth needed to take another step forward after ending their playoff drought last season.
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 43
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (44)