Sep 24, 2013, 7:17 PM EDT
The Anaheim Ducks have confirmed that 18-year-old defenseman Shea Theodore has inked a three-year, entry-level contract. He was taken with the 26th overall pick in the 2013 NHL Entry Draft.
Theodore has been getting a good look during the preseason. He registered a power-play assist in his debut on Sept. 16 and logged a team-high 22:06 minutes on Monday, although he also had a minus-two rating in that 2-1 defeat.
The British Columbia-native has plenty of offensive potential and is coming off a 50-point season in 71 games with the WHL Seattle Thunderbirds. At the same time, he has things to work on, particularly when it comes to his defensive duties.
“He got a little fire in his belly to be better, to grow,” Ducks GM Bob Murray told the Los Angeles Times shortly after Theodore was drafted. “He agrees with our assessment of the things he has to work on. And he has no problem talking about it. We were hoping he was still there when we got to pick.”
He will have a tough time making the Anaheim Ducks’ opening game roster, but the Ducks will have to enter the campaign without defensemen Sheldon Souray (wrist) and possibly Luca Sbisa (ankle). With that in mind, he can’t be completely ruled out.
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year 3
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 22
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 48
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 2
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 60
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (60)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)