Sep 24, 2013, 7:17 PM EDT
The Anaheim Ducks have confirmed that 18-year-old defenseman Shea Theodore has inked a three-year, entry-level contract. He was taken with the 26th overall pick in the 2013 NHL Entry Draft.
Theodore has been getting a good look during the preseason. He registered a power-play assist in his debut on Sept. 16 and logged a team-high 22:06 minutes on Monday, although he also had a minus-two rating in that 2-1 defeat.
The British Columbia-native has plenty of offensive potential and is coming off a 50-point season in 71 games with the WHL Seattle Thunderbirds. At the same time, he has things to work on, particularly when it comes to his defensive duties.
“He got a little fire in his belly to be better, to grow,” Ducks GM Bob Murray told the Los Angeles Times shortly after Theodore was drafted. “He agrees with our assessment of the things he has to work on. And he has no problem talking about it. We were hoping he was still there when we got to pick.”
He will have a tough time making the Anaheim Ducks’ opening game roster, but the Ducks will have to enter the campaign without defensemen Sheldon Souray (wrist) and possibly Luca Sbisa (ankle). With that in mind, he can’t be completely ruled out.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)