Sep 24, 2013, 7:17 PM EDT
The Anaheim Ducks have confirmed that 18-year-old defenseman Shea Theodore has inked a three-year, entry-level contract. He was taken with the 26th overall pick in the 2013 NHL Entry Draft.
Theodore has been getting a good look during the preseason. He registered a power-play assist in his debut on Sept. 16 and logged a team-high 22:06 minutes on Monday, although he also had a minus-two rating in that 2-1 defeat.
The British Columbia-native has plenty of offensive potential and is coming off a 50-point season in 71 games with the WHL Seattle Thunderbirds. At the same time, he has things to work on, particularly when it comes to his defensive duties.
“He got a little fire in his belly to be better, to grow,” Ducks GM Bob Murray told the Los Angeles Times shortly after Theodore was drafted. “He agrees with our assessment of the things he has to work on. And he has no problem talking about it. We were hoping he was still there when we got to pick.”
He will have a tough time making the Anaheim Ducks’ opening game roster, but the Ducks will have to enter the campaign without defensemen Sheldon Souray (wrist) and possibly Luca Sbisa (ankle). With that in mind, he can’t be completely ruled out.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 10
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 21
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 23
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)