Sep 24, 2013, 7:17 PM EST
The Anaheim Ducks have confirmed that 18-year-old defenseman Shea Theodore has inked a three-year, entry-level contract. He was taken with the 26th overall pick in the 2013 NHL Entry Draft.
Theodore has been getting a good look during the preseason. He registered a power-play assist in his debut on Sept. 16 and logged a team-high 22:06 minutes on Monday, although he also had a minus-two rating in that 2-1 defeat.
The British Columbia-native has plenty of offensive potential and is coming off a 50-point season in 71 games with the WHL Seattle Thunderbirds. At the same time, he has things to work on, particularly when it comes to his defensive duties.
“He got a little fire in his belly to be better, to grow,” Ducks GM Bob Murray told the Los Angeles Times shortly after Theodore was drafted. “He agrees with our assessment of the things he has to work on. And he has no problem talking about it. We were hoping he was still there when we got to pick.”
He will have a tough time making the Anaheim Ducks’ opening game roster, but the Ducks will have to enter the campaign without defensemen Sheldon Souray (wrist) and possibly Luca Sbisa (ankle). With that in mind, he can’t be completely ruled out.
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 32
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 3
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 57
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)