Sep 24, 2013, 11:43 AM EDT
Jonathan Drouin is headed back to left wing after a 12-day trial at center — and he’s returning to the wing in style.
Tampa Bay’s first round pick (No. 3 overall) at the 2013 NHL Entry Draft will audition for a spot on the team’s top line alongside Martin St. Louis and Steve Stamkos, according to the Tampa Bay Times.
“It was exciting to be on a line with those two guys,” Drouin explained after skating with St. Louis and Stamkos during Monday’s scrimmage (the trio is expected to play together tonight vs. Nashville).
“They make plays. They’re smart. It makes everything easier on the ice.”
The Bolts had tested Drouin out at center to start training camp but, with Stamkos and Valtteri Filppula slotted in as the top two pivots, it made sense to return Drouin to his natural spot on the wing.
It’s a place he excelled during a standout junior career, scoring 41 goals and 105 points in just 49 games for QMJHL Halifax last season, winning CHL Player of the Year and the 2013 Memorial Cup.
Stamkos, a two-time Rocket Richard trophy winner, was excited to be lined up with another skill forward.
“It’s something that’s been talked about when he came here where he’ll fit in,” Stamkos said. “Any time you get to play with a skill player like that, you’re excited to see what the chemistry is.”
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 0
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 21
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 15
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 8
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 37
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 25
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)