Sep 24, 2013, 1:55 PM EDT
Well, that didn’t take long.
Just one week after joining the Devils on a professional try out, Damien Brunner has inked a multi-year extension with New Jersey, the club announced on Tuesday.
According to Brunner’s agent, Neil Sheehy, it’s a two-year pact worth $5 million, carrying an average annual cap hit of $2.5 million.
“I’m really excited about being a Devil and sticking around,” Brunner told the team website. “I believed that I could come over [from Switzerland], prove myself and get a contract.
“That’s what happened and I’m really happy about it.”
Brunner, 27, spent last season in Detroit — his first in the NHL — and finished third on the Red Wings in goals (12) and fifth in points (26).
Despite that successful campaign, the Swiss forward couldn’t secure a new deal from the Wings and went without a contract for much of the summer.
There had been reports he was contemplating a return to Switzerland’s National League A — he spent the 2011-12 season with Zug, led the league in scoring and was named forward of the year — but in mid-August, his agent (Neil Sheehy) said Brunner would play in the NHL this season.
On Sept. 16, New Jersey brought Brunner to camp on a PTO and he’s proceeded to look good in game action, notching two assists in Satruday’s 3-0 exhbition win over the Islanders.
The new multi-year deal makes sense on a variety of fronts. The Devils are in need of scoring up front after finishing 28th in the NHL in goals per game (2.29) last season. What’s more, the club had nearly $4 million in available cap space following Ilya Kovalchuk’s shock retirement with 14 years and $77 million left on his contract.
One question that still needs to be answered: What will the Devils do with 16 forwards now under contract?
Lamoriello admitted he’s got some work to do now to get down to 13 or 14 forwards with Brunner on board now. Called it a “good problem.”
— Tom Gulitti (@TGfireandice) September 24, 2013
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 1
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)