Clarkson on 10-game ban: Sometimes I act with heart, not head

Sep 24, 2013, 10:14 PM EDT

Toronto Maple Leafs beat the Buffalo Sabres 5-3 in preseason action Getty Images

Despite previous reports to the contrary, Toronto Maple Leafs forward David Clarkson will not appeal his suspension, according to Sportsnet’s Chris Johnston.

He’s being punished for violating Rule 70.10, which hands players an automatic 10-game ban if they leave their bench illegally during a fight or to start an altercation.

The 29-year-old do just that on Sunday after Buffalo Sabres forward John Scott‘s attempt to fight Phil Kessel led to a line brawl, as you can see below:

“I sometimes make decisions with my heart, not my head,” Clarkson said.

As a result, the Maple Leafs will be without their big free agent signing until Oct. 25. That also puts the Maple Leafs in an even rougher salary cap situation.

1. lowenni - Sep 24, 2013 at 10:23 PM

Well, at least he understands what he did. He shouldn’t have left the bench, but I respect the fact that he went at Scott to protect the team’s star player. There’s really no argument against the suspension, however. He violated a rule, he has to face the consequences.

2. 950003cups - Sep 25, 2013 at 2:34 AM

That’s why we loved you in NJ, Dave! Your all heart!

All heart and no brains. Not such a bad thing. Great man, who is as selfless as they come. He is about to lose millions because he didn’t want to see his new teammate be disrespected.

Keep on keeping on, Dave!!!! You’re a good man!!!

• dueman - Sep 25, 2013 at 7:58 AM

“He is about to lose millions because he didn’t want to see his new teammate be disrespected.”

LOL – Just how much do you think the Leafs are paying him? He’s going to lose $269,230. That’s not chump change, but it isn’t even in the ballpark of “millions.” I do agree though, that he is a good guy.

3. trout2013 - Sep 25, 2013 at 7:13 AM

What a dumb move. Good way to let your team down.

4. jaredo10 - Sep 25, 2013 at 10:15 AM

he’s a beast so happy he’s not in my division. anymore

Top 10 NHL Player Searches