Sep 24, 2013, 4:41 PM EDT
Believing he has “three or four more years left” in a career that’s already approaching 1,000 games played, veteran defenseman Dan Boyle has made no secret his desire to sign a contract extension with the Sharks and finish his career in San Jose.
“I’ve made it clear that I want to be here and hopefully they want me around,” Boyle told NHL.com recently. “I still have a lot of miles left in this body. I know people talk about my age, but that’s probably from the people that don’t know me and have not seen me play, because the people that have, they know that I’m not exactly slowing down any time soon. I want to be here. In a cap world, you’ve gotta make it work. We’ll see what happens, but I’m not too worried about it right now.”
The 37-year-old made similar comments in May; however, an extension has yet to be signed, with Sharks general manager Doug Wilson saying only he’s had talks with Boyle, as well as Joe Thornton and Patrick Marleau. All three players can become unrestricted free agents next summer.
If Boyle so badly wants to finish his career in San Jose, it may behoove Wilson to try and get a hometown discount out of the offensive blue-liner, who’s entering the final year of a six-year, $40 million contract.
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 13
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 2
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 3
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 26
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 17
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)