Sep 24, 2013, 4:41 PM EDT
Believing he has “three or four more years left” in a career that’s already approaching 1,000 games played, veteran defenseman Dan Boyle has made no secret his desire to sign a contract extension with the Sharks and finish his career in San Jose.
“I’ve made it clear that I want to be here and hopefully they want me around,” Boyle told NHL.com recently. “I still have a lot of miles left in this body. I know people talk about my age, but that’s probably from the people that don’t know me and have not seen me play, because the people that have, they know that I’m not exactly slowing down any time soon. I want to be here. In a cap world, you’ve gotta make it work. We’ll see what happens, but I’m not too worried about it right now.”
The 37-year-old made similar comments in May; however, an extension has yet to be signed, with Sharks general manager Doug Wilson saying only he’s had talks with Boyle, as well as Joe Thornton and Patrick Marleau. All three players can become unrestricted free agents next summer.
If Boyle so badly wants to finish his career in San Jose, it may behoove Wilson to try and get a hometown discount out of the offensive blue-liner, who’s entering the final year of a six-year, $40 million contract.
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 5
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 15
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 77
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 17
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 41
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 46
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 4
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (77)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)