Sep 24, 2013, 4:41 PM EDT
Believing he has “three or four more years left” in a career that’s already approaching 1,000 games played, veteran defenseman Dan Boyle has made no secret his desire to sign a contract extension with the Sharks and finish his career in San Jose.
“I’ve made it clear that I want to be here and hopefully they want me around,” Boyle told NHL.com recently. “I still have a lot of miles left in this body. I know people talk about my age, but that’s probably from the people that don’t know me and have not seen me play, because the people that have, they know that I’m not exactly slowing down any time soon. I want to be here. In a cap world, you’ve gotta make it work. We’ll see what happens, but I’m not too worried about it right now.”
The 37-year-old made similar comments in May; however, an extension has yet to be signed, with Sharks general manager Doug Wilson saying only he’s had talks with Boyle, as well as Joe Thornton and Patrick Marleau. All three players can become unrestricted free agents next summer.
If Boyle so badly wants to finish his career in San Jose, it may behoove Wilson to try and get a hometown discount out of the offensive blue-liner, who’s entering the final year of a six-year, $40 million contract.
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 1
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 7
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 19
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 27
- Video: Stamkos ends goal drought in style 9
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 9
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 32
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 2
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)