Sep 24, 2013, 4:41 PM EDT
Believing he has “three or four more years left” in a career that’s already approaching 1,000 games played, veteran defenseman Dan Boyle has made no secret his desire to sign a contract extension with the Sharks and finish his career in San Jose.
“I’ve made it clear that I want to be here and hopefully they want me around,” Boyle told NHL.com recently. “I still have a lot of miles left in this body. I know people talk about my age, but that’s probably from the people that don’t know me and have not seen me play, because the people that have, they know that I’m not exactly slowing down any time soon. I want to be here. In a cap world, you’ve gotta make it work. We’ll see what happens, but I’m not too worried about it right now.”
The 37-year-old made similar comments in May; however, an extension has yet to be signed, with Sharks general manager Doug Wilson saying only he’s had talks with Boyle, as well as Joe Thornton and Patrick Marleau. All three players can become unrestricted free agents next summer.
If Boyle so badly wants to finish his career in San Jose, it may behoove Wilson to try and get a hometown discount out of the offensive blue-liner, who’s entering the final year of a six-year, $40 million contract.
- Risk Factors: St. Louis Blues edition 0
- Ryan agrees to seven-year, $50.75 million extension 11
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 37
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 10
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (37)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)