Sep 24, 2013, 4:41 PM EST
Believing he has “three or four more years left” in a career that’s already approaching 1,000 games played, veteran defenseman Dan Boyle has made no secret his desire to sign a contract extension with the Sharks and finish his career in San Jose.
“I’ve made it clear that I want to be here and hopefully they want me around,” Boyle told NHL.com recently. “I still have a lot of miles left in this body. I know people talk about my age, but that’s probably from the people that don’t know me and have not seen me play, because the people that have, they know that I’m not exactly slowing down any time soon. I want to be here. In a cap world, you’ve gotta make it work. We’ll see what happens, but I’m not too worried about it right now.”
The 37-year-old made similar comments in May; however, an extension has yet to be signed, with Sharks general manager Doug Wilson saying only he’s had talks with Boyle, as well as Joe Thornton and Patrick Marleau. All three players can become unrestricted free agents next summer.
If Boyle so badly wants to finish his career in San Jose, it may behoove Wilson to try and get a hometown discount out of the offensive blue-liner, who’s entering the final year of a six-year, $40 million contract.
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 13
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 21
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 37
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 7
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 77
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 52
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (77)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)