Sep 23, 2013, 8:52 PM EDT
If the 2013 preseason is teaching us anything, it’s that games that “don’t matter” can still leave players hurting. Monday provided another example, as Boston Bruins winger Milan Lucic fought brutally with Washington Capitals tough guy Joel Rechlicz:
That’s an impressive round of fisticuffs, no doubt, but you have to wonder how the Bruins feel about their 25-year-old power forward dropping the gloves in a heavyweight bought during a preseason game.
There’s no word on Lucic being banged up from the scuffle, yet it’s certainly a risk, especially against a seasoned pugilist.
Rechlicz, 26, engaged in a second period fight against Johnny Boychuk, too:
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 5
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 32
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 107
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 2) 0
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 30
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 51
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 77
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7