Sep 23, 2013, 8:52 PM EST
If the 2013 preseason is teaching us anything, it’s that games that “don’t matter” can still leave players hurting. Monday provided another example, as Boston Bruins winger Milan Lucic fought brutally with Washington Capitals tough guy Joel Rechlicz:
That’s an impressive round of fisticuffs, no doubt, but you have to wonder how the Bruins feel about their 25-year-old power forward dropping the gloves in a heavyweight bought during a preseason game.
There’s no word on Lucic being banged up from the scuffle, yet it’s certainly a risk, especially against a seasoned pugilist.
Rechlicz, 26, engaged in a second period fight against Johnny Boychuk, too:
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 17
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 11
- The Atlantic Division race is going to be fascinating 18
- Flyers rally as Zepp wins his career debut at 33 years old 22
- Oilers squander three-goal lead, lose 18th time in 19 games 11
- Pickard makes one last bid to stay, beats Wings in nine-round SO 6
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno 39
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 17
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 18
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 8