Sep 23, 2013, 9:14 AM EST
Last night’s line brawl between the Toronto Maple Leafs and Buffalo Sabres will see repercussions come down against players on both teams. One thing Toronto’s front office won’t care for much is how it’ll affect their ability to do business.
The Leafs are looking at losing David Clarkson for 10 games for leaving the bench to fight John Scott. While that was noble of him to do that, his big, new salary cap hit will stay on the record while he sits.
Franson has been sitting out in a bid to get more money from the team in negotiations and that won’t be happening for the defenceman in the near future. Raymond will have to sign at a bargain price, while adding Franson will be less of a priority with cap space so scarce.
The salary cap aspect of the impending action makes this very awkward for Toronto. Coach Randy Carlyle even recognized this after the game in reference to Clarkson saying he, “made a mistake and now we pay for it.”
That they will and now GM Dave Nonis will have to get really creative through the opening part of the season.
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (46)