Sep 23, 2013, 9:33 PM EDT
After rolling the dice with less seasoned backups (or questionable ones like Andrew Raycroft) in recent seasons, the Dallas Stars decided to back up Kari Lehtonen with Dan Ellis in 2013-14. With that in mind, it shouldn’t be surprising that prospect Jack Campbell was assigned to the AHL’s Texas Stars on Monday.
Still, some might want to see the 2010 first-rounder (11th overall) make bigger strides soon. The 21-year-old hasn’t played in an NHL regular season game yet.
High-level goalies tend to take a long time to develop, so it’s not time to panic, but one has to wonder when (or if) he’ll break through. Stars blog Defending Big D labels him as a goalie of the team’s future alongside Philippe Desrosiers.
Campbell played in 40 games for the Texas Stars last season, going 19-13-3 with a .905 save percentage.
- Video: Flames stun Ducks in OT to get back in the series 5
- Video: Controversial no-goal call on Flames 6
- Video: Crawford, Kane help Blackhawks push Wild to brink of elimination 36
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 1
- Prust apologizes for all the stuff he said about referee Watson 48
- Flyers will be ‘extremely patient’ with youngsters, but ‘want a winner as soon as possible’ 22
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Holtby outduels Lundqvist as Caps take series lead 52
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 66
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 26
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (83)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)
- Babcock won’t discuss future yet, but sees challenges ahead for Wings (79)
- New York second: Capitals stun Rangers for 1-0 series lead (76)