Sep 23, 2013, 9:33 PM EDT
After rolling the dice with less seasoned backups (or questionable ones like Andrew Raycroft) in recent seasons, the Dallas Stars decided to back up Kari Lehtonen with Dan Ellis in 2013-14. With that in mind, it shouldn’t be surprising that prospect Jack Campbell was assigned to the AHL’s Texas Stars on Monday.
Still, some might want to see the 2010 first-rounder (11th overall) make bigger strides soon. The 21-year-old hasn’t played in an NHL regular season game yet.
High-level goalies tend to take a long time to develop, so it’s not time to panic, but one has to wonder when (or if) he’ll break through. Stars blog Defending Big D labels him as a goalie of the team’s future alongside Philippe Desrosiers.
Campbell played in 40 games for the Texas Stars last season, going 19-13-3 with a .905 save percentage.
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 61
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5