Sep 23, 2013, 9:33 PM EDT
After rolling the dice with less seasoned backups (or questionable ones like Andrew Raycroft) in recent seasons, the Dallas Stars decided to back up Kari Lehtonen with Dan Ellis in 2013-14. With that in mind, it shouldn’t be surprising that prospect Jack Campbell was assigned to the AHL’s Texas Stars on Monday.
Still, some might want to see the 2010 first-rounder (11th overall) make bigger strides soon. The 21-year-old hasn’t played in an NHL regular season game yet.
High-level goalies tend to take a long time to develop, so it’s not time to panic, but one has to wonder when (or if) he’ll break through. Stars blog Defending Big D labels him as a goalie of the team’s future alongside Philippe Desrosiers.
Campbell played in 40 games for the Texas Stars last season, going 19-13-3 with a .905 save percentage.
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 1
- Your Lightning-Rangers Game 7 officials are… 1
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 28
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 12
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 45
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 8
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 6
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 1
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)