Sep 23, 2013, 12:58 PM EDT
The Buffalo Sabres have made roster moves in the aftermath of Sunday’s melee with the Toronto Maple Leafs.
Three players directly involved with the line brawl — forward Mike Zigomanis and defensemen Chad Rudhwedel and Drew Bagnall — have all been dispatched to AHL Rochester, the club announced on Monday.
Also headed to Rochester are Matt Hackett, Brayden McNabb and Matt Ellis.
Ruhwedel, Bagnall and Zigomanis all received fighting majors and 10-minute misconducts for their participation in the brawl. Ruhwedel squared off with Tyler Bozak, Bagnall with T.J. Brennan and Zigomanis with Andrew MacWilliam (who, it should be noted, was also dispatched to the AHL on Monday.)
All told, the game featured 239 penalty minutes and could produce as many as three suspensions: David Clarkson for leaving the bench to engage in a fight, Phil Kessel for a match penalty after slashing John Scott and Scott for going after Kessel.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 29
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 8
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (29)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)