Sep 23, 2013, 2:31 PM EDT
The San Jose Sharks will be without Raffi Torres for the next six weeks — and possibly more.
Torres, hurt during San Jose’s preseason home opener against Anaheim on Friday, suffered a knee injury that will likely shelve him for the first month of the season, according to CSN Bay Area’s Kevin Kurz.
Kurz also reports the “worst case” scenario could land Torres on IR for 3-4 months:
According to general manager Doug Wilson, the Sharks have not made any final determination as to whether Torres will have surgery. That decision will be made at some point this week, depending on the damage.
“We’ll let the swelling go down and get it diagnosed properly, and go from there. There are many different options to it,” Wilson said.
If Torres does have surgery, he would miss three-to-four months.
The injury occurred during the second period of a 3-2 OT loss, when Torres got tangled with Ducks forward Emerson Etem. Though Sharks head coach Todd McLellan called it “a complete accident,” the collision was forceful enough to knock Torres and Etem out of the game entirely (Torres didn’t return; Etem came out for two more shifts before calling it a night.)
Torres didn’t play in Saturday’s game, a 3-2 OT win over Phoenix.
Torres, 31, was acquired by San Jose at last year’s trade deadline and proceeded to appear in 11 regular season games, scoring six points while racking up 38 hits.
In the playoffs, Torres had an effective first round against Vancouver, scoring the winning OT tally in Game 2 while registering 18 hits.
But then — as it often does with Torres — controversy struck.
He was suspended for the duration of the Western Conference semifinals against Los Angeles after hitting Kings forward Jarret Stoll in the head.
The Sharks jumped to Torres defense following the suspension announcement, calling the decision “grossly unfair.” That earned the organization a stiff $100,000 fine, though the actions taken by Wilson seemed to have an effect on Torres, who said he wanted to return to San Jose following its Game 7 loss to the Kings.
In June, the Sharks re-signed Torres to a three-year, $6 million deal.
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 2
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 23
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 30
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 34
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 68
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (68)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)