Sep 23, 2013, 5:48 PM EDT
The Blackhawks say they have approximately six guys gunning for a “couple” of roster spots this season.
So, there will be cuts.
While normally the toughest part of any coach’s job (save Homer Simpson), Joel Quenneville has become more comfortable with the idea of giving someone the axe.
“Earlier on it might have been a little more challenging,” Quenneville told the Chicago Sun-Times. “Now I don’t mind it at all.”
The ‘Hawks are pretty much set on defense and in goal, meaning the lone spots up for grabs are at forward, where the club is looking to replace the likes of Michael Frolik, Dave Bolland and Viktor Stalberg.
Some names have already been chopped from consideration. Kyle Beach was put on waivers earlier today and Chicago previously bid farewell to 2012 first-rounder Teuvo Teravainen.
So, who’s still gunning for a job?
21-year-old Brandon Pirri, the club’s second-round pick at the ’09 Draft, is a name that continues to pop up. Pirri led AHL Rockford in scoring last season (75 points in 76 games) and has seven games of NHL experience under his belt.
Whatever Quenneville’s decision is, it’ll have to happen soon. Chicago has just two preseason games and eight days left until it opens at home against Washington on Oct. 1.
- WATCH LIVE: Washington Capitals at Pittsburgh Penguins 0
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 13
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 53
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 26
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (62)
- Flyers’ Luke Schenn on first-period brawl: ‘That’s the way it goes’ (57)