Sep 23, 2013, 5:48 PM EST
The Blackhawks say they have approximately six guys gunning for a “couple” of roster spots this season.
So, there will be cuts.
While normally the toughest part of any coach’s job (save Homer Simpson), Joel Quenneville has become more comfortable with the idea of giving someone the axe.
“Earlier on it might have been a little more challenging,” Quenneville told the Chicago Sun-Times. “Now I don’t mind it at all.”
The ‘Hawks are pretty much set on defense and in goal, meaning the lone spots up for grabs are at forward, where the club is looking to replace the likes of Michael Frolik, Dave Bolland and Viktor Stalberg.
Some names have already been chopped from consideration. Kyle Beach was put on waivers earlier today and Chicago previously bid farewell to 2012 first-rounder Teuvo Teravainen.
So, who’s still gunning for a job?
21-year-old Brandon Pirri, the club’s second-round pick at the ’09 Draft, is a name that continues to pop up. Pirri led AHL Rockford in scoring last season (75 points in 76 games) and has seven games of NHL experience under his belt.
Whatever Quenneville’s decision is, it’ll have to happen soon. Chicago has just two preseason games and eight days left until it opens at home against Washington on Oct. 1.
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 1
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers face Red Wings on Rivalry Night 1
- Video: Canucks honor Quinn with “O Danny Boy” 7
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 4
- Report: Alfredsson retirement to be announced Dec. 4 8
- On the odds of fighting back after Thanksgiving 7
- Why are the Oilers still bad? Look at their drafting 21
- The Leafs are worth almost seven times the Panthers, says Forbes 21
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? 43
- Crosby, Malkin power Penguins, help Fleury grab 300th win 7
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)