Sep 23, 2013, 1:12 PM EST
“I think they’re going to put a plate in,” Oilers GM Craig MacTavish told Sportsnet’s Mark Spector. “Maybe a couple of plates.”
Gagner, 24, will be out indefinitely while recovering from the injury. Timetables are often vague when it comes to broken jaws — returning to action can sometimes be contingent upon pain management — but the Edmonton Journal speculates Gagner could be facing a 6-8 week recovery period.
If so, it would leave Edmonton without its top two centers for a large chunk of the season. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins is already shelved with a shoulder injury and isn’t expected to be back until November.
Gagner is in the first year of a three-year, $14.4 million extension with the Oilers after finishing second on the team in points last season, with 38.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 111
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 94
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 105
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 87
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (180)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (125)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (114)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (105)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (94)