Sep 23, 2013, 7:59 PM EDT
The Toronto Maple Leafs admitted that David Clarkson made a mistake by leaving the team’s bench to fight in Sunday’s melee with the Buffalo Sabres; now the NHL is making him pay. As expected, he was handed that automatic 10-game suspension on Monday.
Clarkson, 29, won’t be able to participate in his first Leafs regular season game until a road contest against the Columbus Blue Jackets on Oct. 25.
With little surprise, this suspension will take a hearty chunk out of the newly-signed forward’s wallet. He’s forfeiting $269,230.80 to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.
Here’s video of the line brawl that inspired Clarkson to make that significant mistake:
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 53
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 1
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 25
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 11
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 39
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh 112
- Oshie and Berglund out, Tarasenko in for Blues tonight vs. ‘Hawks 9
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 12