Sep 23, 2013, 2:08 PM EDT
Brenden Morrow is a talented hockey player, no doubt — however, he’s always been known more for his straight-ahead power game than the fancy skill stuff.
Which is why he believes the St. Louis Blues are more “tailored to the way I play” than the Pittsburgh Penguins, with whom he ended last season.
Morrow joins the Blues on a one-year, $1.5 million contract. The 34-year-old former Stars captain — and Team Canada standout at the 2010 Oympics — accepted a significant reduction in pay for 2013-14 after his last deal paid him an annual salary of $4.1 million over six years.
While it may not give him the kind of money he wanted, his new contract does come with a chance to compete for a Stanley Cup.
“I think the Blues have been a team that’s been knocking on the door the last few years,” Morrow said, per NHL.com’s Lou Korac. “I think they can be a team that can push through it. I wanted to be a part of that.”
The “heavy” game St. Louis plays under head coach Ken Hitchcock may well be better suited to Morrow’s physical style than the freewheeling flair of the Penguins. After almost 1,000 career NHL games, regular season and playoffs combined, plus his share of injures, Morrow has slowed a bit.
Health-wise, however, he says he’s feeling just fine.
“The body feels good and I’ve got something to prove,” he said. “I’m a motivated player right now.”
- Carolina is ‘concerned’ about Jordan Staal, who was helped off the ice 1
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 25
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough (35)
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks (29)