Sep 23, 2013, 2:08 PM EDT
Brenden Morrow is a talented hockey player, no doubt — however, he’s always been known more for his straight-ahead power game than the fancy skill stuff.
Which is why he believes the St. Louis Blues are more “tailored to the way I play” than the Pittsburgh Penguins, with whom he ended last season.
Morrow joins the Blues on a one-year, $1.5 million contract. The 34-year-old former Stars captain — and Team Canada standout at the 2010 Oympics — accepted a significant reduction in pay for 2013-14 after his last deal paid him an annual salary of $4.1 million over six years.
While it may not give him the kind of money he wanted, his new contract does come with a chance to compete for a Stanley Cup.
“I think the Blues have been a team that’s been knocking on the door the last few years,” Morrow said, per NHL.com’s Lou Korac. “I think they can be a team that can push through it. I wanted to be a part of that.”
The “heavy” game St. Louis plays under head coach Ken Hitchcock may well be better suited to Morrow’s physical style than the freewheeling flair of the Penguins. After almost 1,000 career NHL games, regular season and playoffs combined, plus his share of injures, Morrow has slowed a bit.
Health-wise, however, he says he’s feeling just fine.
“The body feels good and I’ve got something to prove,” he said. “I’m a motivated player right now.”
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 17
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)