Sep 23, 2013, 2:08 PM EDT
Brenden Morrow is a talented hockey player, no doubt — however, he’s always been known more for his straight-ahead power game than the fancy skill stuff.
Which is why he believes the St. Louis Blues are more “tailored to the way I play” than the Pittsburgh Penguins, with whom he ended last season.
Morrow joins the Blues on a one-year, $1.5 million contract. The 34-year-old former Stars captain — and Team Canada standout at the 2010 Oympics — accepted a significant reduction in pay for 2013-14 after his last deal paid him an annual salary of $4.1 million over six years.
While it may not give him the kind of money he wanted, his new contract does come with a chance to compete for a Stanley Cup.
“I think the Blues have been a team that’s been knocking on the door the last few years,” Morrow said, per NHL.com’s Lou Korac. “I think they can be a team that can push through it. I wanted to be a part of that.”
The “heavy” game St. Louis plays under head coach Ken Hitchcock may well be better suited to Morrow’s physical style than the freewheeling flair of the Penguins. After almost 1,000 career NHL games, regular season and playoffs combined, plus his share of injures, Morrow has slowed a bit.
Health-wise, however, he says he’s feeling just fine.
“The body feels good and I’ve got something to prove,” he said. “I’m a motivated player right now.”
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (44)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)