Sep 23, 2013, 2:08 PM EDT
Brenden Morrow is a talented hockey player, no doubt — however, he’s always been known more for his straight-ahead power game than the fancy skill stuff.
Which is why he believes the St. Louis Blues are more “tailored to the way I play” than the Pittsburgh Penguins, with whom he ended last season.
Morrow joins the Blues on a one-year, $1.5 million contract. The 34-year-old former Stars captain — and Team Canada standout at the 2010 Oympics — accepted a significant reduction in pay for 2013-14 after his last deal paid him an annual salary of $4.1 million over six years.
While it may not give him the kind of money he wanted, his new contract does come with a chance to compete for a Stanley Cup.
“I think the Blues have been a team that’s been knocking on the door the last few years,” Morrow said, per NHL.com’s Lou Korac. “I think they can be a team that can push through it. I wanted to be a part of that.”
The “heavy” game St. Louis plays under head coach Ken Hitchcock may well be better suited to Morrow’s physical style than the freewheeling flair of the Penguins. After almost 1,000 career NHL games, regular season and playoffs combined, plus his share of injures, Morrow has slowed a bit.
Health-wise, however, he says he’s feeling just fine.
“The body feels good and I’ve got something to prove,” he said. “I’m a motivated player right now.”
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 0
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 0
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 17
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 25
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 31
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)