Sep 23, 2013, 2:08 PM EDT
Brenden Morrow is a talented hockey player, no doubt — however, he’s always been known more for his straight-ahead power game than the fancy skill stuff.
Which is why he believes the St. Louis Blues are more “tailored to the way I play” than the Pittsburgh Penguins, with whom he ended last season.
Morrow joins the Blues on a one-year, $1.5 million contract. The 34-year-old former Stars captain — and Team Canada standout at the 2010 Oympics — accepted a significant reduction in pay for 2013-14 after his last deal paid him an annual salary of $4.1 million over six years.
While it may not give him the kind of money he wanted, his new contract does come with a chance to compete for a Stanley Cup.
“I think the Blues have been a team that’s been knocking on the door the last few years,” Morrow said, per NHL.com’s Lou Korac. “I think they can be a team that can push through it. I wanted to be a part of that.”
The “heavy” game St. Louis plays under head coach Ken Hitchcock may well be better suited to Morrow’s physical style than the freewheeling flair of the Penguins. After almost 1,000 career NHL games, regular season and playoffs combined, plus his share of injures, Morrow has slowed a bit.
Health-wise, however, he says he’s feeling just fine.
“The body feels good and I’ve got something to prove,” he said. “I’m a motivated player right now.”
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 20
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 20
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 31
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 53
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (67)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)