Sep 23, 2013, 3:45 PM EST
Flyers defenseman Andrej Meszaros says he doesn’t pay attention to the trade rumors that include his name.
“Sometimes you hear stuff and sometimes you don’t,” Meszaros said, per CSNPhilly.com. “I don’t care about that. It’s what the media are saying. It’s not official.
“Until they trade you or do what they need to do, it’s out of my hands. I just have to play my game and it’s up to the staff after that. I’m not thinking about it. I love being here. What happens, happens.”
But with just a year remaining on his contract before he can become an unrestricted free agent, combined with the glut of players on Philly’s blue line — including young Erik Gustafsson — CSNPhilly.com’s Tim Panaccio argues that “something has to give” before the season starts.
It’s hard to believe the Flyers would keep Gustafsson on the roster as a seventh defenseman knowing the 23-year-old has to play. He can’t sit. And his talent for moving the puck makes it almost mandatory he plays.
They won’t trade him. That would be crazy at this point — which raises an interesting scenario. Could what we are seeing right now be nothing more than the Flyers “showcasing” Meszaros and trying to prove he is healthy to other clubs, so that they can soon move him via trade?
That makes the most sense.
Of course, even if the Flyers did explore a Meszaros trade, it may be a challenge to get good value in return. With a cap hit of $4 million, Meszaros would be tough to fit on many NHL rosters.
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 9
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 23
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 8
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 20
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 34
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)