Sep 23, 2013, 3:45 PM EDT
Flyers defenseman Andrej Meszaros says he doesn’t pay attention to the trade rumors that include his name.
“Sometimes you hear stuff and sometimes you don’t,” Meszaros said, per CSNPhilly.com. “I don’t care about that. It’s what the media are saying. It’s not official.
“Until they trade you or do what they need to do, it’s out of my hands. I just have to play my game and it’s up to the staff after that. I’m not thinking about it. I love being here. What happens, happens.”
But with just a year remaining on his contract before he can become an unrestricted free agent, combined with the glut of players on Philly’s blue line — including young Erik Gustafsson — CSNPhilly.com’s Tim Panaccio argues that “something has to give” before the season starts.
It’s hard to believe the Flyers would keep Gustafsson on the roster as a seventh defenseman knowing the 23-year-old has to play. He can’t sit. And his talent for moving the puck makes it almost mandatory he plays.
They won’t trade him. That would be crazy at this point — which raises an interesting scenario. Could what we are seeing right now be nothing more than the Flyers “showcasing” Meszaros and trying to prove he is healthy to other clubs, so that they can soon move him via trade?
That makes the most sense.
Of course, even if the Flyers did explore a Meszaros trade, it may be a challenge to get good value in return. With a cap hit of $4 million, Meszaros would be tough to fit on many NHL rosters.
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 28
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 23
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 36
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 53
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (68)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)