Sep 23, 2013, 4:20 PM EDT
Mason Raymond has signed a one-year contract with the Toronto Maple Leafs. The speedy winger’s agent, JP Barry, confirmed the deal to Sportsnet’s Chris Johnston. The contract is worth $1 million, according to David Alter of 590 The Fan.
“Based on Mason’s play in the preseason, we feel he fits in well with our group and will have a significant role on our team,” said general manager Dave Nonis in a release. “We agreed to terms over the weekend and look forward to him making a strong contribution this season.”
Raymond originally arrived at Leafs camp as an unrestricted free agent on a professional tryout. The 28-year-old has 178 career NHL points in 374 games, all with the Vancouver Canucks.
The focus in Toronto will increasingly turn now to restricted free agent Cody Franson; the 26-year-old defenseman is still without a contract, and the scarce amount of cap space is even scarcer after Raymond’s addition.
The Leafs are expected to be without winger David Clarkson for the first 10 games of the season after he left the bench to join a line brawl last night versus the Sabres.
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 14
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 50
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 36
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (67)