Sep 23, 2013, 4:20 PM EDT
Mason Raymond has signed a one-year contract with the Toronto Maple Leafs. The speedy winger’s agent, JP Barry, confirmed the deal to Sportsnet’s Chris Johnston. The contract is worth $1 million, according to David Alter of 590 The Fan.
“Based on Mason’s play in the preseason, we feel he fits in well with our group and will have a significant role on our team,” said general manager Dave Nonis in a release. “We agreed to terms over the weekend and look forward to him making a strong contribution this season.”
Raymond originally arrived at Leafs camp as an unrestricted free agent on a professional tryout. The 28-year-old has 178 career NHL points in 374 games, all with the Vancouver Canucks.
The focus in Toronto will increasingly turn now to restricted free agent Cody Franson; the 26-year-old defenseman is still without a contract, and the scarce amount of cap space is even scarcer after Raymond’s addition.
The Leafs are expected to be without winger David Clarkson for the first 10 games of the season after he left the bench to join a line brawl last night versus the Sabres.
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- The King is back: Lundqvist starts for Rangers Saturday 2
- Five big games to watch this weekend 7
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 16
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 58
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)