Sep 23, 2013, 4:20 PM EDT
Mason Raymond has signed a one-year contract with the Toronto Maple Leafs. The speedy winger’s agent, JP Barry, confirmed the deal to Sportsnet’s Chris Johnston. The contract is worth $1 million, according to David Alter of 590 The Fan.
“Based on Mason’s play in the preseason, we feel he fits in well with our group and will have a significant role on our team,” said general manager Dave Nonis in a release. “We agreed to terms over the weekend and look forward to him making a strong contribution this season.”
Raymond originally arrived at Leafs camp as an unrestricted free agent on a professional tryout. The 28-year-old has 178 career NHL points in 374 games, all with the Vancouver Canucks.
The focus in Toronto will increasingly turn now to restricted free agent Cody Franson; the 26-year-old defenseman is still without a contract, and the scarce amount of cap space is even scarcer after Raymond’s addition.
The Leafs are expected to be without winger David Clarkson for the first 10 games of the season after he left the bench to join a line brawl last night versus the Sabres.
- Wings’ Kronwall has hearing today for hit on Kucherov 17
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 32
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 25
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 8
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 30
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 80
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)