Sep 23, 2013, 4:20 PM EDT
Mason Raymond has signed a one-year contract with the Toronto Maple Leafs. The speedy winger’s agent, JP Barry, confirmed the deal to Sportsnet’s Chris Johnston. The contract is worth $1 million, according to David Alter of 590 The Fan.
“Based on Mason’s play in the preseason, we feel he fits in well with our group and will have a significant role on our team,” said general manager Dave Nonis in a release. “We agreed to terms over the weekend and look forward to him making a strong contribution this season.”
Raymond originally arrived at Leafs camp as an unrestricted free agent on a professional tryout. The 28-year-old has 178 career NHL points in 374 games, all with the Vancouver Canucks.
The focus in Toronto will increasingly turn now to restricted free agent Cody Franson; the 26-year-old defenseman is still without a contract, and the scarce amount of cap space is even scarcer after Raymond’s addition.
The Leafs are expected to be without winger David Clarkson for the first 10 games of the season after he left the bench to join a line brawl last night versus the Sabres.
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 8
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 15
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 38
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 38
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)