Sep 23, 2013, 10:16 PM EDT
Monday was a busy day for Mikhail Grabovski.
Hours after comparing former teammate Phil Kessel to a “musketeer,” he also made his first in-game impressions on his new Washington Capitals colleagues, albeit in a preseason contest. Grabovski, 29, assisted on both of Washington’s goals in a 3-2 overtime loss to the Boston Bruins.
It’s possible he was one of the few Capitals who really looked impressive, at least from the box score; the Bruins out-shot the Capitals 38-14 tonight. Of course, the B’s loaded up while Washington iced a fairly anonymous crew beyond Grabovski, Martin Erat, Troy Brouwer, Brooks Laich and Braden Holtby, so that probably explains the disparity.
Grabovski fared well individually beyond the pair of helpers, winning 50 percent of his faceoffs, logging 19:15 of ice time and firing three shots on goal.
The more interesting debut comes in the regular season opener against the Chicago Blackhawks on Oct. 1, but Caps fans can be forgiven if they’re already a little more excited about their new No. 2 center.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 69
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)