Sep 23, 2013, 10:16 PM EST
Monday was a busy day for Mikhail Grabovski.
Hours after comparing former teammate Phil Kessel to a “musketeer,” he also made his first in-game impressions on his new Washington Capitals colleagues, albeit in a preseason contest. Grabovski, 29, assisted on both of Washington’s goals in a 3-2 overtime loss to the Boston Bruins.
It’s possible he was one of the few Capitals who really looked impressive, at least from the box score; the Bruins out-shot the Capitals 38-14 tonight. Of course, the B’s loaded up while Washington iced a fairly anonymous crew beyond Grabovski, Martin Erat, Troy Brouwer, Brooks Laich and Braden Holtby, so that probably explains the disparity.
Grabovski fared well individually beyond the pair of helpers, winning 50 percent of his faceoffs, logging 19:15 of ice time and firing three shots on goal.
The more interesting debut comes in the regular season opener against the Chicago Blackhawks on Oct. 1, but Caps fans can be forgiven if they’re already a little more excited about their new No. 2 center.
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 2
- Wounded Wing: Howard (MCL sprain) out 2-4 weeks 2
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 61
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 28
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 46
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 22
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 85
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)