Sep 23, 2013, 10:16 PM EDT
Monday was a busy day for Mikhail Grabovski.
Hours after comparing former teammate Phil Kessel to a “musketeer,” he also made his first in-game impressions on his new Washington Capitals colleagues, albeit in a preseason contest. Grabovski, 29, assisted on both of Washington’s goals in a 3-2 overtime loss to the Boston Bruins.
It’s possible he was one of the few Capitals who really looked impressive, at least from the box score; the Bruins out-shot the Capitals 38-14 tonight. Of course, the B’s loaded up while Washington iced a fairly anonymous crew beyond Grabovski, Martin Erat, Troy Brouwer, Brooks Laich and Braden Holtby, so that probably explains the disparity.
Grabovski fared well individually beyond the pair of helpers, winning 50 percent of his faceoffs, logging 19:15 of ice time and firing three shots on goal.
The more interesting debut comes in the regular season opener against the Chicago Blackhawks on Oct. 1, but Caps fans can be forgiven if they’re already a little more excited about their new No. 2 center.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)