Sep 23, 2013, 10:16 PM EDT
Monday was a busy day for Mikhail Grabovski.
Hours after comparing former teammate Phil Kessel to a “musketeer,” he also made his first in-game impressions on his new Washington Capitals colleagues, albeit in a preseason contest. Grabovski, 29, assisted on both of Washington’s goals in a 3-2 overtime loss to the Boston Bruins.
It’s possible he was one of the few Capitals who really looked impressive, at least from the box score; the Bruins out-shot the Capitals 38-14 tonight. Of course, the B’s loaded up while Washington iced a fairly anonymous crew beyond Grabovski, Martin Erat, Troy Brouwer, Brooks Laich and Braden Holtby, so that probably explains the disparity.
Grabovski fared well individually beyond the pair of helpers, winning 50 percent of his faceoffs, logging 19:15 of ice time and firing three shots on goal.
The more interesting debut comes in the regular season opener against the Chicago Blackhawks on Oct. 1, but Caps fans can be forgiven if they’re already a little more excited about their new No. 2 center.
- WATCH LIVE: Tampa Bay Lightning at Montreal Canadiens (Game 3) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 23
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 50
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 82
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 23
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 136
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 40
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (136)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes (82)