Sep 23, 2013, 10:34 AM EST
Just days after losing Tomas Vokoun indefinitely to blood clotting issues, the Penguins added journeyman goalie Jeff Deslauriers to the mix, signing him to a professional tryout with AHL Wilkes-Barre/Scranton.
Deslauriers, 29, spent last season with the Minnesota Wild organization.
A highly-touted draftee — Edmonton took him 31st overall in 2002, the fourth goalie taken after Kari Lehtonen, Cam Ward and Hannu Toivonen — Deslauriers has failed to make much of an impact at the NHL level.
His best season came in 2009-10, when he appeared in a career-high 48 games and, dubiously, led the NHL in losses (with 28).
The deal with Wilkes-Barre/Scranton is a return of sorts — Deslauriers played for the Penguins in 2006-07 as Edmonton didn’t have an AHL affiliate at the time.
Oh, and in case you’re wondering, Deslauriers hasn’t played in the NHL since the 2011-12 season, when he played in four games for Anaheim.
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 0
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 31
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 53
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)