Sep 23, 2013, 12:19 PM EST
What Hartley doesn’t know is who’ll be his No. 1.
“Still don’t know,” Hartley told the Calgary Sun over the weekend. “They’ll have, basically, to prove themselves on a daily basis.”
Unlike his decision on Calgary’s captaincy — Hartley said he knew who his choice would be days before naming Mark Giordano — the goaltending choice seems to be legitimately up in the air.
MacDonald, 33, has the most NHL experience (122 career games) and appeared in 21 contests for Calgary last season. So it’s likely he’s got the inside edge.
That said, the Flames made a big financial investment in Ramo (two years, $5.5 million) after he captured back-to-back KHL All-Star nods. The Finnish netminder hasn’t played in the NHL since 2009, but was only 23 back then.
The darkhorse appears to be Berra, the 26-year-old Swiss phenom who starred in the National League A and for Team Switzerland at the 2013 Worlds.
To hear Hartley explain it, though, there’s no favorite and there’s no darkhorse. Just an open competition.
“They’re all in the same boat right now,” he explained. “I can’t say that one is ahead of the other.
“It’s a three-man battle.”
Or maybe it’s a two man battle? From Sportsnet’s Darren Millard…
With Jay Feaster on hc@noon, sure sounds like the goalie battle is a two horse race. Team not overwhelmed by the shape of Joey Macdonald
— Daren Millard (@darenmillard) September 23, 2013
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 47
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 42
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 14
- Trade: Montreal acquires Petry from Edmonton for two draft picks 21
- Bruins acquire Connolly from the Lightning for draft picks (Confirmed) 32
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 69
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (157)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)