Sep 23, 2013, 12:19 PM EST
What Hartley doesn’t know is who’ll be his No. 1.
“Still don’t know,” Hartley told the Calgary Sun over the weekend. “They’ll have, basically, to prove themselves on a daily basis.”
Unlike his decision on Calgary’s captaincy — Hartley said he knew who his choice would be days before naming Mark Giordano — the goaltending choice seems to be legitimately up in the air.
MacDonald, 33, has the most NHL experience (122 career games) and appeared in 21 contests for Calgary last season. So it’s likely he’s got the inside edge.
That said, the Flames made a big financial investment in Ramo (two years, $5.5 million) after he captured back-to-back KHL All-Star nods. The Finnish netminder hasn’t played in the NHL since 2009, but was only 23 back then.
The darkhorse appears to be Berra, the 26-year-old Swiss phenom who starred in the National League A and for Team Switzerland at the 2013 Worlds.
To hear Hartley explain it, though, there’s no favorite and there’s no darkhorse. Just an open competition.
“They’re all in the same boat right now,” he explained. “I can’t say that one is ahead of the other.
“It’s a three-man battle.”
Or maybe it’s a two man battle? From Sportsnet’s Darren Millard…
With Jay Feaster on hc@noon, sure sounds like the goalie battle is a two horse race. Team not overwhelmed by the shape of Joey Macdonald
— Daren Millard (@darenmillard) September 23, 2013
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 21
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 2
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 41
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 52
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (41)
- Panthers announced attendance Tuesday night lowest since 2008 (37)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)