Sep 23, 2013, 12:27 PM EST
The Edmonton Oilers were in the market for a heavyweight, and they got one today.
The club announced Monday that it’s added Steve MacIntyre off waivers from Pittsburgh. The 33-year-old has played tough guy for the Oilers before, as you can see below:
Edmonton’s desire to add a protector no doubt increased Saturday after Vancouver’s Dale Weise took a run at Taylor Hall (video) in a preseason game. The Oilers-Canucks contest also saw Zack Kassian break Sam Gagner’s jaw with his stick.
Both Weise and Kassian are facing discipline from the NHL.
The Oilers and Canucks, by the way, face each other Saturday, Oct. 5, in Vancouver.
Craig MacTavish on Steve MacIntyre "After our game against Vancouver we decided there was a need for toughness.I think he'll make an impact"—
Gene Principe (@GenePrincipe) September 23, 2013
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 1
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 64
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 133
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (133)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (114)