Sep 23, 2013, 12:27 PM EDT
The Edmonton Oilers were in the market for a heavyweight, and they got one today.
The club announced Monday that it’s added Steve MacIntyre off waivers from Pittsburgh. The 33-year-old has played tough guy for the Oilers before, as you can see below:
Edmonton’s desire to add a protector no doubt increased Saturday after Vancouver’s Dale Weise took a run at Taylor Hall (video) in a preseason game. The Oilers-Canucks contest also saw Zack Kassian break Sam Gagner’s jaw with his stick.
Both Weise and Kassian are facing discipline from the NHL.
The Oilers and Canucks, by the way, face each other Saturday, Oct. 5, in Vancouver.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 6
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 34
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)