Sep 23, 2013, 12:27 PM EST
The Edmonton Oilers were in the market for a heavyweight, and they got one today.
The club announced Monday that it’s added Steve MacIntyre off waivers from Pittsburgh. The 33-year-old has played tough guy for the Oilers before, as you can see below:
Edmonton’s desire to add a protector no doubt increased Saturday after Vancouver’s Dale Weise took a run at Taylor Hall (video) in a preseason game. The Oilers-Canucks contest also saw Zack Kassian break Sam Gagner’s jaw with his stick.
Both Weise and Kassian are facing discipline from the NHL.
The Oilers and Canucks, by the way, face each other Saturday, Oct. 5, in Vancouver.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 5
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 8
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 32
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)