Sep 23, 2013, 12:27 PM EDT
The Edmonton Oilers were in the market for a heavyweight, and they got one today.
The club announced Monday that it’s added Steve MacIntyre off waivers from Pittsburgh. The 33-year-old has played tough guy for the Oilers before, as you can see below:
Edmonton’s desire to add a protector no doubt increased Saturday after Vancouver’s Dale Weise took a run at Taylor Hall (video) in a preseason game. The Oilers-Canucks contest also saw Zack Kassian break Sam Gagner’s jaw with his stick.
Both Weise and Kassian are facing discipline from the NHL.
The Oilers and Canucks, by the way, face each other Saturday, Oct. 5, in Vancouver.
Craig MacTavish on Steve MacIntyre "After our game against Vancouver we decided there was a need for toughness.I think he'll make an impact"—
Gene Principe (@GenePrincipe) September 23, 2013
- Tortorella calls meltdown ‘a kick in the teeth’ 4
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 11
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 35
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)